(Modern AU) The Band Beginner (Part Two) - Jean x Reader

*Revised 06/27/2017

Most of this was inspired by how my close friend always wore my ring as a good luck charm for whenever he ran a mile for P.E.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀❁࿐✶⋆

"There's a G-flat in measure thirty nine." you whispered to the student on your right, as she stared at her music sheet with slight confusion. You showed her the fingering for the said note, before she mouthed out an "Oh" and marked it on her paper.

   You directed your attention back to Mr. Ackerman, as he flipped through the pages of songs in his white, three ringed binder. Your band was currently in the midst of rehearsal, and there was a new song that everyone was assigned. He came to a stop at a specific one, before clearing his throat and adjusted his reading glasses.

   "As you all know, we have our sixth annual Masses Band event this upcoming Saturday. I expect you all to further practice the seven songs that we've gone over, and today we'll be polishing some key parts that you all need some work on-"

His index finger traced the paper, as he came to a stop mid-way to direct his attention to the baritone and trombone parts that were printed.

"Baritone and trombone - measures fifty three all the way until sixty five. The tempo speeds up to Allegro - keep in mind of that,"

He directed his attention to the other page, as he traced his finger once again, across the laminated music sheet.

"Hmm... I haven't quite heard the Bass part of seventy five through eighty nine."

   At the mention of his one-man section, Jean sat up straight in his chair, before adjusting the crimson red, polished guitar in his lap, holding it against his abdomen as his left hand supported the crown and neck part. He directed his golden hues at the said measures, and began to further listen to Mr. Ackerman as he continued to speak.

   It had been about two months ever since he joined band, and to be honest, he was enjoying it. He highly admired how close everyone was, as well as how thorough and clear Mr. Ackerman taught music. In the three weeks after he joined, he was already one of the best bass guitar players in the band - well, he was the only one, but it surprised him that people actually thought that he was good.

   The one thing he loved most about this class was getting to know more people, as well as taking a step out of his comfort zone. In here, he didn't have to keep up the intimidating and bold persona that he usually kept during school - instead, he was a more caring and generous student, despite his punk-gothic like appearance.

   It surprised him that he was actually more involved with the Vice President - (F/n) (L/n) - more than anyone else in the whole band. Since she was such a help and kind person to him on his first day and ever since, he had been more close with her than even most of his friends. This caused him to be more open to those around him, despite not knowing all of his band mates personally and closely. Other band members noticed the close relationship of the two, and little did he know, was that they secretly hoped for them to be together...

   "Have you guys understood the new element we've added?" Mr. Ackerman's voice through the microphone snapped Jean out of his thoughtful state, as he nearly zoned out from whatever he had said.

"Wait what?" Jean asked aloud, causing and erupt of the band to laugh or snicker at his cluelessness. You smiled to yourself as you shook your head at his obliviousness.

   "We've added a six beat fermata to the last note in measure eighty eight." he sighed through the microphone, before Jean mouthed out an 'Oh' as he marked the new addition to his sheet music.