Shedding Light; The Camden Files

"Hi, I'm Camden and you are?"I asked Teigan as she stared blankly at me. She had just woken up but she still looked as beautiful as the last time I saw her. She stared at me confused as I tried to trick her into thinking that I had amnesia.
      "What?"she asked, her voice cracking showing with was clearly afraid. Her eyes watered as she straightened her body and removed her hands from mine. My body missed her warmth as soon as she got up. The way her face looked broke my heart. I only meant to joke around, not to hurt her.
      "I'm just joking Teigan. Please don't cry,"I told her and she slowly calmed down after slapping me outside my head. "Yeah I love you too darling." She smiled after wiping her eyes and kissed my cheek.
      "How are you feeling?"she asked ever so softly. Her green eyes darting all over my face, awaiting a response.
      "I have a massive headache and I'm hungry. But Teigan?"
      "Yeah?"she asked.
      "You know that you're supposed to call a nurse when a previously unconscious person wakes up right?" Her cheeks turned red with embarrassment.
      "Yeah. Right."She got up and left the room, leaving her phone beside me. Then it went off. I looked over at it to see an annual reminder. It said, "The day Levi died". My heart stopped. Levi. That topic was never discussed between us but neither has the situation between my family and myself. "She went to call the doctor. He'll be here in a second,"she said coming back into the room with her hands in her jacket. I held the phone up. "What?"she asked as she took the phone from me."Oh. That's today Camden. October 13."
       "I know,"I told her. She started to small herself up, trying to melt into her jacket. I reached out my arms. "Come here chéri." She slowly came towards me as I turned on my side to make space for her in the bed. She slowly climbed in beside me as a single tear escaped her eye. After a few minutes of silence, she let out a heavy sorrowful sob that twisted my heart and broke it. She turned herself into me and then started the cry and sob and shake. I held her as tight as I could without affecting her stomach. I even told the doctor that I was fine and that he should come back later and he listened. I kissed her hair, I spoke to her telling her reassuring words until she ended up sleeping because of her crying. My shirt was soaked with tears and I didn't feel disgusted. I was just worried if she would wake up crying again.

I hope she didn't.

*************

  I stared at the ceiling as the doctor relayed my medical information to me in whispers.
     "Are you going to be okay?"asked her small voice. I kissed her hair and nodded.
     "Are you?"I asked her while looking into her emerald green eyes. She shook her head.
     "Levi-Levi was my younger brother. He was about fourteen and I was seventeen when he died. People always bullied him, took advantage of his kindness, I tried to protect him but I couldn't. He had Asperger so he was super smart and kind of quiet, only nice to the people he thought deserved it. But the thing with people who have Asperger is that they have little tolerance and low self control, its easy to make them upset. I taught him how to handle it, but one day a bully from the high school got to him. He got very upset and said some very rude things and according to a teacher threw a bag at the high school student. The dumb boy got mad. He and his bloody clique carried him to the swimming pool. D'Marie and Elizabeth had told me and I got there just as soon as they through him in with a rock tied to his foot. I tried to jump in but those idiots kept holding me back. I kept screaming his name but I knew he couldn't hear me and I knew he couldn't swim. They kept calling me a bitch and prevented me from jumping in, told me I would never save him. When I broke free and the water stopped moving I knew it was too late. I knew he was g-gone. But I jumped in anyways. Teachers came by the time I swam and pulled the rock off of him, pulling him up to surface. I placed him on the pool deck and tried to revive him but to no avail. He was gone,"she told me, relaying the traumatic event,"from then, I've had nightmares with the voices and the sounds of the crowd. Me crying over his body. I've had insomnia and I used to have anxiety attacks. He was all I had. My mom never took care of him really, I did, while I took care of myself. He only really spoke to me and a girl named Lily Hare that was his age at the time. She completely broke down when she heard and she killed herself. My dad is a bloody imbecile and he didn't give a damn either. It was just him and I. Teigan and Levi. Then it was just me. I was alone and he was gone. How could they have been so cruel! It wasn't his fault! My parents sued the school and the kid that did it is in juvy and all that smart crap but all I got was a dead brother and a empty room next door to me with constant memories of Levi Malik Saunders. When I moved out I realized I actually missed his room and his name printed on his door. That's why I got this." She removed the sheets from over her body and lifted her leg. All around her right ankle was a tattoo that I never noticed before. It read, 'Levi Malik Saunders' with the king chess piece beside it. "It's in the same font that was on his door and he loved chess. He was my little King." She smiled at the thought. I rubbed her shoulders.
        I didn't want to say I'm sorry or that I understood. I didn't want to. But I didn't know what else to say. She continued to cry and sob while I held her in my arms.
        "It's okay Teigan. I'm very sorry that you had to go through that. Levi sounds like someone I would have wanted to be friends with. Why'd you mark the date in your phone though?" She cried and said through heavy, heavy tears,
        "Because it's also his birthday."

I felt my heart shatter.

*****************

There y'all go. Sorry for the late update. But I felt sick and I knew this chapter would break my heart. :'( . But I hope you guys enjoyed reading like I did writing. I'm aiming to make the next update before Friday but lets see. Love uu lovlies!!! Don't cry like I did. Lateerrrr daaaaayyyyyzzzz!!!!

-Naomi ♡