A F T E R_T H E_N I G H T M A R E

A few months later

I lifted a heavy cardboard box labeled Books. "Where do you want this box?"

"Just toss it in the living room." Ella called out to me from the kitchen. "I need help over here."

I did as she asked and went to find her. It was a rather small place, a three-room apartment, but it was enough room for one person to live.

When I entered the kitchen, I saw Ella struggling to precariously balance an oversized box with one hand and her knee as she put away the supplies into the cabinets with the other.

"Here, let me hold that for you."  I rushed over to her side to pick up the box.

"Thanks, Ace, but I got this. The help I need is with Chloe."

"My sister?" I frowned up at her in confusion. "When'd she get here?"

"While you were out at the car getting that last box." She unloaded a handful of items from the box into the cupboard. "It sounded like she was trying to be stealthy about it though I have no idea why. She went towards my room. Can you check it out and make sure she doesn't turn it into a replica of her room?"

"Don't like excess amounts of pink?" I was kidding. Sort of. Whenever Chloe finds a new color she likes, she everything she owns to match it. Lately, it's been pink, but she insists it is rose. I don't see the difference; pink is pink.

"Not really." She crinkled her nose, probably at the same thought I was having.

"Don't worry, I'll intervene."

"Thank you. It's the door on the left."

I went down the hall and quietly slipped into the room. Chloe was standing in front of the dresser, her back to me, with a large box of things next to her on the bed.

"Hey, bro," she said without looking. "Do you mind helping me with this?"

I walked over. "Depends, what do you have in there, and why was it necessary to sneak it in when I wasn't looking?"

"Will you tell me what really happened that night?" She took some quick measurements of the dresser top and the wall above it with a measuring tape.

"I already told you, there's nothing to tell," I insisted. We've been repeating this argument since the incident. When Chloe came home that morning, she freaked out at the condition I was in. If our positions were reversed, I would've, too. "It was a minor accident, and those injuries were from me falling into a ditch."

Chloe sighed.  "You're going to have to tell me everything, eventually.  Anyways, open that box and give me something."

I dropped the subject and did as she asked. When I registered what was inside, I was surprised. 

"What are these?"

I picked up a framed picture of me and Ella. It was taken at the mall cinema during one of our later trips, and we were facing each other. She was smiling.

"Things I've been collecting for a housewarming present."  She pulled the photo out of my hands and placed it on the dresser.  "Give me another one."

I reached into the box, and the next item was a strip of pictures they probably took in a photo booth of Ella and Chloe. She took that one as well and tacked it on the wall.

We continued this process until the box was empty. Other items in the box included a small bamboo plant Ella took an interest in, an antique mirror with a mahogany frame, and an incomplete scrapbook containing souvenirs of things we did together, such as movie tickets or pressed flowers.

When she was done arranging everything to her liking, she dusted her hands off and said, "You should bring her in, now."

I gave her a quick hug. "This was really nice of you."

She hugged me back.  "She's my friend. Of course I would do this for her. Now go, before I get any more mushy!" She laughed as she pushed me away.

I chuckled with her. "I know, I know. Can't ruin your tough-girl image, right?"

"Of course."

I went to the kitchen again to find Ella had moved to filling the ground cabinets with kitchen items.

"For someone who doesn't have to eat, you have a lot of kitchen items."

"Says the fragile mortal who can't go without food for a day or two. I'm preparing for your inevitable demands it."  She laughed. It's good to hear her laugh more often now.  "Also, I need to keep up appearances.  Your sister is my new neighbor, don't forget, and I have a feeling she's going to visit me often."

I let out a short laugh.  "Speaking of my sister, she wants you to come to the bedroom."

She looked up at me curiously.  "What is it?"

"It's a surprise." I grinned, pulling her to her feet and covered her eyes with my hands. 

"What are you doing?" She laughed as she said that, pulling lightly at my hands but not putting any strength behind it. "I can't see!"

"That's the point." I directed her in the direction of her room. "This tradition hasn't changed much over time, has it?"

"With the exception of this type of closeness usually being reserved for married couples, not much."  Her voice was light, teasing.  Something else she's been doing more  of lately.  "Is this your version of a marriage proposal?"

"I think it's a bit too soon for that." I removed my hands to uncover her eyes. "Here we go."

"Surprise!" Chloe shouted. "It's a housewarming gift for you."

Ella gasped. "This is for me?" She approached the dresser and stood to one side as she picked up the photo of the two of us to study it. "I... I don't know what to say. Thank you so much."

She turned and hugged first my sister, then me.

"Thank you," she whispered.

I returned her embrace, and for the moment, everything was alright.

UNTIL THE NEXT NIGHTMARE