N I G H T M A R E_S I X

After giving Eleanora some time to clean up and compose herself, I drove her back to my house. Once I saw her safely inside, I returned to the police station. I needed to have a chat with my shift replacement from last night.

The Sheriff had left sometime after I did, so I was spared from another lecture, or a few awkward questions at the very least. I made a beeline for the squad room knowing my partner would most likely be there.

I poked my head through the door. "Felix, you got a minute?"

"Maybe. What do you got?"

"Dinner."

I held up a fast food bag and shook it. Finally, he tore his eyes away from his papers and sniffed.

"Extra bacon?"

"Of course."  I walked to his desk and dropped it in his outstretched hands.

"What do you want, Ace?"  He dug out the first burger from the bag and began to wolf it down. "An intervention? You smell like vampire."

"Hey, just because I bring you dinner doesn't mean I want something from you." I rubbed the spot where Eleanora bit me. "Is it that noticeable?"

He snorted. "Yes, you do. And the vampire's scent is all over you. It's the same from last night, along with your blood. I got worried it drained you dry and hid your body."

"I'm okay, mostly, and I don't need an intervention. Actually, I was wondering if you smelled someone else out there besides me and Eleanora."

"Is she the vampire?" He pulled out the second burger and a handful of fries.

"Yeah."

"I think there was another vampire scent in the same area, but I'm not sure. They all kind of smell the same to me."

"I was afraid of that."

"What?"

"There was a man in the cemetery. Thinking back on what happened, I wondered if he was a vampire, too. I believe I interrupted him digging her out last night."

He inhaled sharply, then had a violent coughing fit. "She was buried? Why didn't you report any of this?"

"What was I supposed to say? That a vampire who tried and failed to erase my memory was digging out another vampire that was deep sixed a hundred fifty years ago?"

Felix blinked. "Are you serious?"

"Completely. Do you think you could track that scent."

My partner was back to stuffing his face. "I could try, but its been a day. It'll probably be mostly faded by now."

"I wouldn't be surprised. Thanks. Can you do another favor for me?"

"Sure. What is it?"

"Can you get some papers for Eleanora?"

He tossed the wrappers in the bag.  "You know that'll cost you more than a dinner, right?  What does she need?"

"Everything."  He gave me a disbelieving look.  "She's been out since the Civil War, Felix.  If she has any surviving papers, they're no good now."