N I G H T M A R E_N I N E

"Monster!"

"No, you're wrong! I am not a monster!"

I whirled around, searching the darkness for her. Her distress was overwhelming; I need to help her.

"You deceived me!"

"I never meant for you to find out." Her voice broke towards the end. "I loved you so much. I still do."

"Then that was your mistake."

Where was she? "Don't listen to him!"

"What are you doing in my head?" Her distress changed to confusion and panic. "You shouldn't be here. Get out!"

I shot up in bed, panting and out of breath like I had run a marathon. What was that dream? It seemed so real.

I looked toward my nightstand and groaned. My clock was reading seven in the morning, and thanks to that dream, I was too keyed up to go back to sleep.

I forced myself out of bed and trudged down to the kitchen to turn on the coffee maker.

-

The time waiting until we could leave for my parents' house could be described as awkward at best. Eleanora seemed to be avoiding me all morning, and when I finally cornered her, all she said was that yesterday's events brought up painful memories for her.

I let it go for the time being, however, I had the feeling that there was more to it than just that.

Even with our newfound connection, she's still doing a good job at shutting me out.

-

"Ace, I can't go in."

Sensing her distress and confusion, I turned to look at her and paled. How could I have forgotten?

"What's going on?" Chloe turned to see what was wrong and was confused at the sight of Eleanora standing on the porch with her hand pressed against an invisible wall.

"Oh, nothing. I forgot something in the car. You go on ahead, Chloe."

"Alright, then."

As soon as Chloe was out of earshot, I turned back to Eleanora's bewildered face.

"Why can I not get past the threshold?"

I rubbed the back of my neck.

"I'm sorry, I completely forgot. There's a barrier around the house's perimeter to keep out all uninvited supernatural creatures.  Come on in, Eleanora."

She passed through the door with no problem this time.

"Also, please explain to me why you have a barrier around your house."

"That part's a bit more complicated. You see-"

I was interrupted by my mother, who barged in on our conversation to attack me, nearly toppling me over.