N I G H T M A R E_T H R E E

"You are a despicable human being, Ace.  Completely shameful."

"Chloe, do you mind just telling me what you are going on about instead of insulting me?"

"No, because that would mean I'm going easy on you.  Typical clueless male."

"Chloe, I worked the late night shift last night plus overtime.  Then you decided to wake me up with a glass of ice water to the face at ten in the morning, after getting less than six hours of sleep.  Do you think I'm capable of running on all pistons?"

"Yes.  The adrenaline rush from that glass of ice water should keep you alert for the next few minutes, long enough for you to make some coffee.  After that, you're going to tell me about the woman in the guest bedroom wearing my clothes."

I was thrown for a loop for a second.  What woman?  Then I remembered.  "Are you talking about Eleanora?  And I thought you said you hated those clothes when you left them here."

"Give the man a trophy.  He's finally catching on, even though he's still missing the point."

I threw the blanket off me in frustration and got out of bed.  "Well, since you're obviously not going to tell me this point I'm missing anytime soon, do you want your coffee the usual way?"

"Yes, I would, thank you.  The first completely reasonable thing you've said all morning.  While you're doing that, I'm going to wake up...Eleanora you said?  I want her side of the story."

When it came to meddling and poking her nose into places it doesn't belong, my sister knows no bounds.

"I wouldn't do that, Chloe.  She's had a long night, and there is no story."  Not one that she needs to concern herself with.

"Don't bother."  Eleanora was standing in the doorway of the guest bedroom.  She was wearing an oversized tee-shirt my sister bought at a concert she attended with an ex-boyfriend a few years ago and a pair of flannel sweatpants.   "All the noise you two were making woke me up."

"Sorry about that.  My sister here has a volume problem.  She only knows loud and louder."

Chloe started shouting at me in protest, proving my point.  Eleanora just waved it off.

"Apparently, I have been sleeping too much lately, so I do not mind much."

Chloe elbowed me in the ribs. Hard.  What now?

"Brother dearest, you haven't introduced me to your girlfriend, yet.  You're not giving her the wrong impression about us, are you?"

"Chloe, Eleanora.  Eleanor, Chloe."  I was completely bewildered.  "Girlfriend? Where did you get that idea?"

"Well, what am I supposed to think?"

"Not that.  Chloe, we only met last night.  I'm just helping her.  Besides, you know it's still too soon for me."  I saw my sister's suspicious looks and Eleanora's icy glare.  My shoulders slumped, giving up.  Why can't she learn to knock?  "Let's take this to the kitchen.  I really need that coffee now.  I'll explain what I can."

"You better."  Chloe pushed past me, and Eleanora followed her.  They began chatting quietly to each other.  Probably about me.  Whenever my personal life is involved, Chloe never could find a more interesting subject.

The two women were sitting at the dining table, still whispering to each other, when I left the coffeepot to brew.  The stopped to stare at me when I sat down.

"Well?" Chloe demanded.  Eleanora just watched with a carefully blank expression.

I sighed.  "During my patrol last night, I saw her walking around the edge of town.  We talked for a bit.  When I found out she had no where to go, I offered her a place to stay for the time being."