N I G H T M A R E_S E V E N

'I've got good news, and I've got bad news. Which one do you want first?'

I grunted. Aren't I allowed to sleep in anymore?

'Good news, then. I set up a meeting for your friend to start the process to get those papers she needs.'

I forced myself off the couch to stumble to the kitchen and start the coffee.

"Bad news?"

'Following the trail didn't pan out. It disappeared a couple blocks out, so I assumed he had a car on standby.'

"I figured. Thanks anyways."

I moved to hang up when he continued. 'I'm not done yet. I contacted a couple people I know who remember interesting folks who pass through.'

"Oh yeah? What did they say?"

'Someone of her ilk came to town three days ago, but he hasn't been seen since. Apparently, he was studying older town maps, which is why they found him particularly interesting.'

Hot coffee finally started streaming into the pot.

"That's got to be our guy. Can you get a description of him?"

'Already on it. A sketch will be on your desk when you come in next time.'

"Thanks. Tell me more about that meeting you set up."

'Its in the city. Victor's Legal Firm on Lincoln Street at one.'

"I owe you, Felix."

'Yeah, yeah. Just get me a steak or something and I'll call it even.'

He hung up and I poured my first cup of coffee.

If I let Eleanora sleep until eleven, that'll give us two hours to get ready and drive to the legal firm. Then we'll have to rush back here so I can make it to work on time.

It's going to be another long day.

I walked over to the refrigerator to find some breakfast for myself and saw a note posted on the door. Chloe apparently left early this morning to move out her things from Jason's apartment on her way to class. At the end of her note, she reminded me of our conversation last night and demanded I act on what I promised her.

I sighed. Chloe means well, and I know she just wants us get along as a family like we used to.

Maybe one day, it'll be that way again.

-

After Eleanora woke up and explained the plan for today, she agreed to attend the meeting to arrange her identity papers. As she got ready, I wrote a note to my sister to let her know we'd be out for most of the day.

In the car, it was a long and mostly quiet ride to the inner city. I asked her a few questions, she gave me a few short answers. We fell into silence as the buildings became tall and gleaming in the sunlight.

By some measure of luck, I found a parking spot close to the building the legal firm was housed in.

The secretary greeted us inside the waiting room. "Can I help you with something?"

"We have an appointment. It should be under the name Ace Braxton."

She looked at the computer screen. "Yes, I see. The one o'clock. Wait over there while I let Mr. Roman know you have arrived."

We went over to the chairs she gestured to as she spoke in hushed tones into the phone.

"What? But what about-" She paused. "Yes, sir."