Day 1

When I opened the door, I saw a middle aged man sitting at a wooden desk, looking through a set of folders with his red reading glasses. His feet were on his desk and he was reclined in his swivel chair, nodding as he read the papers. When he saw me through the crack of the door, he set his feet down and waved me in. I pushed the door open to it's fullest and shut it quietly behind me. The room was dark and cold but it didn't seem to bother me. I felt welcomed.

"You must be Caroline Olson," the man said as he motioned to the sofa in front of his desk. Once I sat down, he sighed and looked at the folders again. "According to these reports, you were living with a vampire for approximately a year, correct?"

"He wasn't a vampire," I said as I tensed up angrily.

"He sucked blood, feared holy items, burned in the sunlight, and had long since been dead. If he wasn't a vampire, then what was he?"

I threw my hands up. "I don't know. He didn't have superhuman abilities, he didn't turn into any bats, and he certainly didn't have any magical abilities. That's three things that make him different!"

The old man sighed. "Why are you defending him? Better yet, ignore that question. What made you befriend this creature?"

I relaxed. "You'd have to listen to everything we did together in order to understand all of that."

The man smiled and pulled out a small laptop. He unfolded it and turned on the device, allowing several seconds for the computer to start. "Tell me, Caroline: Do you like stories?"

"Depends on what type of story. Where are you going with this?"

"You see, Caroline, I love stories. My favorite type is non-fiction. I'm going to record your story so that the police, and better yet I, can understand the position you took in order to defend this boy." He typed several keys and double clicked the mouse on the laptop. "For everyday you come in here, you will tell me a day in your life with this... Not vampire. My only request is that you keep it in chronological order and keep the story as true as possible."

I nodded and laid back on the couch. "Where should I start?"

The man smiled. "Start with the day you met him."

I sighed. "It was late at night, around 10:30 at night. I was walking down the street when I saw a glowing pair of red eyes..."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Who's there!?" I shouted. The cold air surrounding me pierced through my coat and jeans but the red pair of eyes seemed to see through me and into my soul. Fear began to grip my heart and I felt my body struggle to move.

"What's your blood type?" The eyes asked in a raspy voice. "Is it O positive?"

"Y-yes..."

The eyes moved forward and a teenage boy claimed the floating set of eyes. He had pitch black hair with black eyes and red eyeris. His skin was extremely pale and seemed to glow in the moonlight. He was barely taller than me and wore a torn gray t-shirt with faded jeans. "Can I have a small drink...? I'm really thirsty..."

"Then drink some water!" I shouted nervously. "What does my blood have to do with you?"

"I can't drink water... I can only drink blood..."

I felt my body start to shake but I couldn't move as he took each little step closer. When he was about an inch from my face, I noticed the desperation in his eyes. It was almost as if he had been searching for a drink for several days. I cringed.