Making An Entrance

Chapter 28 - Making An Entrance

“Where do we set up?” Nick asked.

Carmen pointed to one of the towers. “Top floor, in the ballroom.”

The guys groaned.

“Don’t worry, there’s an elevator.”

That seemed to make them feel better.

“A marvel of modern convenience,” I mumbled to no one in particular.

“Chaos,” Carmen said, breaking into my rant. “Take your costume.” She handed me a giant dark gray tweed garment bag, taller than I was. Then, reaching deep inside the SUV, she pulled out a huge antique looking wooden steamer chest, before closing the door.

Skylar saw me fumbling with the bag and came to my rescue. “Need some help?”

I slung it awkwardly over my shoulder and smiled. “Nope, I got it. Speaking of costumes, are you guys dressing up?”

“Carmen said she brought something for us to wear. She packed our stuff in the trailer with the equipment.” Skylar paused, glancing at the garment bag. “If you’re positive you don’t need any help, I gotta help get set up. I don’t like anyone touching my drums.”

I pretended to be scared. “Oh no, not that!”

“Don’t get cute,” he said, playfully.

I smiled. “Too late.”

Skylar gave me a kiss on the cheek. “See you later.” He started to walk away then stopped abruptly, shooting a look at the castle. When he spoke, his voice sounded strange. “Please be careful. I don’t like the feel of this place.” That surprised me. I don’t surprise easily. “Carmen,” he began, to get her attention. His a gaze flickered to hers, before landing back on mine. “Keep an eye on this one.” He pointed at me like he meant business, before slowly walking away.

Carmen nodded. “Planned on it.”

I moaned and followed her inside the entrance of the castle.

When I spoke, my voice echoed eerily. “What’s in the trunk, you planning on moving in?” Seriously, you could fit a small army in that thing.

She shrugged. “Makeup and accessories.”

I stopped dead in my tracks. “Are you friggin' kidding me? All that for makeup?”

“Better hurry up,” she called over her shoulder. “You heard what Skylar said. I’m in charge of not losing you.”

“What am I? A sock?”