Fairy Tale Princess?

Chapter 29 - Fairy Tale Princess?

I'm not sure what I expected. But not this. I froze inside the two-story foyer gracefully lit by a sparkly crystal chandelier. Colorful tapestries and massive oil paintings in gilded frames hung on freshly painted white walls. Beautiful solid oak woodwork extended along the lower half of the walls, continuing in incredible detail around every door frame, molding, and even extending to the exquisite grand staircase. Thick rugs with ornate patterns covered every inch of the dark wood floors.

On the right stood a marble fireplace surrounded by an enormous carved oak mantel. Proudly displayed above was an impressive beveled mirror completely encased within a magnificent sculpted frame that reflected the grandeur of the opulent sitting room.

To the left of the foyer, a massive room opened up in the lower half of one of the towers. The oval shaped room contained four expansive curved windows, each beautifully adorned along the top with highly detailed filigree woodwork.

It was all disturbingly regal. But what I really, really wanted to know was...where were they hiding the coffins?

"Chaos, come on," Carmen called, impatiently. Her voice echoed ominously in the stillness of the castle. "Hurry up. You can take the virtual tour on your computer when we get home."

By the time I made it to the staircase, she'd already dragged the trunk to the second floor, all by herself. I paused at the foot of the stairs to study the breathtaking marble statue of a maiden holding a bronze oil lamp. This far into the castle, or was it called the keep, there were no windows. The lamp provided the only light to illuminate the murkiness of grand staircase, while at the same time tossing sinister shadows that silently stalked you as you climbed.

Carmen walked down the long, dark corridor, disappearing into one of the many chamber rooms. I walked, (more like sprinted) dragging the costumes on the floor.

"How do you know where to go?" I whispered, feeling like an intruder.

She lit an ornate Tiffany style oil lamp with an old-fashioned wooden match stick, before taking the garment bag out of my hands. "I'm just doing what I was told. We have free reign of the castle tonight because we're with the band." Her eyes danced with excitement.

Placing the bag on the bed, she removed two dresses. At least, they appeared to be dresses anyway. She turned towards me, holding up a floor-length prom dress. Parts of the billowy black material looked destroyed.

"This ones for you," she said, handing it to me. "It's one of my old costumes."

Old wasn't quite the right word. Dead was more like it. I held it up. "What were you? A corpse bride?"

Carmen stuck out her lower lip in a pout. "How did you know?"

I shrugged. "Lucky guess."

I tore off the hospital gown and pulled the floor length dress down over my head. It fit perfectly. I peered into a huge oval mirror in one corner of the room and cringed at my reflection. With my out of control hair all wild and scary, face like a death mask, and all the stitches - I looked like the Bride of Frankenstein. Seriously! Pop some bolts on, and the villagers would start chasing me.

Turning to Carmen, I asked, "What are you gonna wear?"

"It's a surprise," she replied. Undressing quickly, she pulled her costume on, tying a tattered sash in back before turning around. "Well, what do you think?" she asked with a twirl.

There were hardly words to express what I thought. Suddenly, I liked my dress much better. Because, as bad as my mine may have been, hers was even worse.

The dirty, off-white ball gown fashioned entirely out of tulle and organza ballooned out dramatically as it fell to the ground like a giant mushroom cloud. The delicate edging of the plunging neck-line had been completely torn off the form fitted bodice. Both sleeves were ripped and now hung in shreds from her arms like ghostly tendrils. She looked like some kind of fairy tale princess.

Yeah, a really twisted nightmarish version of Cinderella.

The Wonderful World of Disney would definitely not be impressed.