Monster in the Mirror

Chapter 24 - Monster in the Mirror

I had a dream that I was walking in a field full of daisies with Thomas. He held my hand and I felt safe and secure at his side. I watched as he bent down and picked a perfect white daisy, then he gently tucked it behind my ear. I couldn't stop staring into his intoxicating hazel eyes. He looked at me like he was seeing me for the first time, but deep down inside, it felt like we'd always known each other. I went to take a step with him, but he didn’t move. I tugged on his hand, but he let go. I started to ask him what was wrong, but I couldn’t speak. Then I woke up on the couch alone.

For the first time since I got home, I realized Thomas hadn't made one of his signature unannounced visits that used to piss me off. Right now, I would actually welcome one. But he was no where to be found.

 Lately, all he'd done before my accident, was complain about how he had to worry about me, protect me, and keep me out of trouble. Blah blah blah, whatever. Come to think about it, he hadn’t even bothered to come see me in the hospital, or even trouble himself to check on me at home. Maybe he finally realized I wasn't worth the trouble after all.

I gave a huff and threw off the quilt, feeling lonely. The entire weekend surrounding Halloween was usually pretty busy, so I figured mom would be occupied outside with customers in the shop.

Heart beating wildly, I tip-toed to the kitchen window and peered outside. I saw my mom wearing one of her oversized straw hats with the humungous, bright pink bow, working in a nearby pumpkin patch. She was pretty hard to miss in that thing.

With her conveniently out of commision, I snuck into the bathroom to finally see what I looked like. Bracing myself in front of the mirror, I flipped the light switch on. It took a moment for my eyes to adjust. I felt as if a stranger was staring back at me with my eyes. They were the only part of me barely showing underneath all the gauge. It was totally surreal. I reached up both hands to unwind the bandages, and forgot they were still covered in gauge too.

Starting with my hands, I unwrapped one and then the other. My fingers were black and blue, and swollen to the size of sausages. Gross.

My stomach sunk. If my hands looked this bad, what in hell must my face look like? Urged on by a morbid sense of curiosity, I took a deep breath and slowly unwound what seemed like miles and miles of mummy bandages. When the last piece fell away, I could only stare at the girl in the mirror. My mind refused to acknowledge what my heart knew to be true. The girl staring back at me wasn't real.

Her skin...uh, I mean...my skin looked colorless – even deathlike. Both eyes were sunken in and greenish bruises appeared underneath. The cuts all over my face were now covered in ugly reddish-brown scabs that stood out in stark contrast against my bloodless face. I looked liked Frankenstein's monster.

I was still staring in the mirror when my mom found me. I walked in stunned silence as I let her lead me back to the couch.

“Honey, right now it looks worse than it is,” she said, reassuringly brushing a stray lock of hair out of my face. “You’re going to be fine. You’ll see.”

“I look like a monster,” I groaned.

“You do not look like a monster,” she insisted, heading into the kitchen. “Are you hungry? Do you feel like eating?”

“Not unless I want to wear it,” I mumbled. My swollen fingers refused to bend.

“What did you say, honey?”

“Nothing, Mom. I’m not hungry.”

She walked into the living room, carrying a huge glass of orange juice mixed with Sprite. Handing it to me, she said, “Drink this, it will settle your stomach.”

“Thanks.” I took the drink and sipped. She always prepared the special concoction for me whenever I was sick. Her secret formula – guaranteed to cure what ails you. Someone should bottle the shit.

“I have a surprise for you, sweetie,” she said, sounding excited. “I hired a contractor to fix your room. Everything is going to be brand new. I can’t wait to show you when you're feeling better.”

She started listing off everything due to be delivered. New carpeting, a new bed, all new sheets, blankets and a comforter. Besides all new state-of- the-art electronics including a flat screen TV and computer, I was also getting a new wall, complete with French Doors opening to a balcony, and my own spiral staircase leading outside. Who knew having a temper-tantrum could be so rewarding.

I finished my drink and handed it to her, feeling tired again. “Sounds great.” I yawned, and laid back down, covering up with the quilt.

“Do you need anything else?”

“Yeah, but I think I already know the answer,” I sighed.

“Oh?” She lifted a brow. “And what is that?”

I took a deep breath. “Carmen and I had plans for my birthday. Are you going to make me cancel them?”

She looked surprised. I don’t think it occurred to her that I would consider going out looking like this. I guess I’m just fearless that way. Besides, I never worried about my looks before the accident. Why start now?

Letting out a sigh, she said, “I didn't want to have to tell you this, but the Doctor said it's a miracle you even survived the accident. No one expected you to walk out of that hospital, Chaos, and yet...here you are. Let’s wait and see how you feel tomorrow, ok?”

I scowled inwardly, blaming it on my red hair. I was simply too stubborn to die.

But right then I didn’t have the energy to argue with my mom, or I so totally would have.