What Does Magic Have To Do With Pizza?

Chapter 38 - What Does Magic Have To Do With Pizza?

On the long walk back to the car Serenity’s thoughts seemed far away as if she was on the edge of some great irritability.

She wasn't the only one.

A strong breeze chased my hair around my face, making me wish I'd pulled it up after all. Walking beside Serenity as we followed the well worn path, I suddenly couldn’t see and ran smack into her.

“Chaos, go bleed somewhere else,” she glowered. “You’re leaking all over me.”

For once, I skipped my scathing reply and tried to be more careful. I could only hope she appreciated the effort.

While we continued to walk, the silence between us thickened. I tried not to worry about my broken nose, or the fact that it hadn't stopped bleeding. Besides, I had more important things to worry about.

Like food.

My stomach growled ferociously making me cranky. Well, crankier than usual.

The only other time I got this ornery was when I felt sleepy, or when I hadn't drank my coffee yet. So, on any given day, there was at least a seventy-five percent chance that I’d be complaining about something.

Why should today be any different?

“I’m hungry.” I didn’t bother to curb the whine from my voice. “When can we get something to eat?”

“Do you want some cheese to go with your wine?” Serenity asked, sounding snarky.

“Ha ha, like I haven’t heard that one before.”

When we finally got back to the car, Serenity drove again. No great bag. I was too hungry to care.

“When can we get something to eat?”

She turned, giving me a hard look. “You asked that question already.”

I folded my arms over my chest. “Just because I asked the question, doesn’t mean I listened to the answer. Besides you never answered me, so it doesn’t count,” I finished triumphantly.

“What are you, a two year old?”

“First you call me a baby, now you call me a two year old. Which one is it?” Irritated, I changed the subject. “I don’t care how old I have to act as long as I can get some friggin' food.”

“You can have some pizza when we get back.”

“Fine,” I grumbled.

I don't know how she did it, but as soon as we pulled up to the house an hour later, a Papa John's delivery guy was waiting for us outside.

Magic Pizza?

It left me wondering how she knew who made my favorite kind. I shot her a sideways glance before getting out of the car. If she noticed, she didn't react.

I ran into the house and performed some magic of my own. I made the pizza disappear.

When finished, Serenity came and sat down beside me.

“It's time,” she said simply.

I didn't have to ask what she meant. Instead, I hoped the pizza wasn't going to turn out to be my last request. Ever.

“I want you to be clear about something,” Serenity began, voice a warning. “Not only are you to defeat Vycandor, you must also destroy him.”

My eyes went wide. “What? How?”

“Here, take this.” She handed me a gun holstered in a black leather strappy thing.

I pushed it back at her. “And shoot myself? Not interested.”

“It's not what you think.”

“What do you mean it’s not what I think?” My eyes flicked to the gun, then back at her. “It's exactly what I think.”

Serenity tipped her head to one side, voice dripping with sarcasm. “Chaos, it’s a squirt gun. It’s filled with Holy Water.”

My brow furrowed in confusion. "How did you get Holy Water?"

"I stole it from a priest after my mother died."

I made a sweeping gesture with one hand. "Wait. Do you mean to tell me an actual Catholic priest blessed that shit and you stuck it in a gun?" She shrugged indifferently. “That's pretty messed up.” I took it out of her hand, pretending to understand. On second thought, I’m not good at pretending. “Why are you giving me a toy?”

“It's not a toy,” she insisted. “It’s an extremely deadly weapon. Use it to destroy Vycandor. Just make sure you point it at his face.”

Since when are zombies affected by Holy Water?

I opened my mouth to argue, then closed it. It was a rare moment, even for me. I just wanted this all to be over with.

What I didn't know at the time, what I couldn't possibly know, was the fact that this moment was only just the beginning of my end.