A Stranger in the Night

Chapter 32 - A Stranger in the Night

I stumbled down the uneven stone stairs as fast as possible, trying my best not to fall and break my neck. Once out of the tower, I raced back through the maze of rooms until I reached the foyer. Grabbing the iron handle with both hands, I thrust open the massive wooden door and slammed it shut behind me.

Remembering my run-in with Beastie and Grim, I had very little doubt that this new breed of zombie was capable of coming after me. They were quite efficient at it actually. Not at all like the mindless monsters you only see in movies where they stagger around and drool as they search for flesh.

No. These zombies were worse...much, much worse. They had the ability to carry out detailed orders and follow them to perfection. I knew it was only a matter of time before the Dark Ones sent them to hunt me down.

Like monsters on a mission.

Of one thing I knew for certain, I needed to put distance between me and the castle. Fast.

Not knowing anything about cars, especially since I'd only ever driven the Gator, which was by no means fast, my eyes scanned the parking lot beside the castle for a get away car. I would have taken Nick's SUV, but with the trailer still hitched on the back I knew it would just slow me down.

Flirting with decisions, I selected a sporty red convertible conveniently parked right up front, which made for an easy escape.

There was just one problem.

Gathering my dress before hopping in the driver's seat, a perimeter-sensing security system started going off – loud enough to raise the dead.

Not that they needed any help.

Fearful of getting caught by Vycandor, and with no other option for escape, I allowed the power to rise up inside of me. Skin crawling with heat, I drew in the energy like pulling back a bow and arrow. When I felt like I couldn't hold onto it a second longer, I let go – sending a rush of supernatural charged juice flying through the air and zapped the car. The effect was immediate and surprising as hell. The alarm shut off and the car turned on – powerful engine roaring to life.

Once in the drivers seat I realized I had absolutely no friggin' clue how to operate the dang thing. Gripping the steering wheel, my eyes focused on the shiny silver image of a graceful cat lunging in mid-air. Only then did it occur to me that I hadn't picked just any random sports car. I'd accidentally selected the most expensive car in the whole parking lot. A brand new Jaguar belonging to a supremely privileged teenager, who most likely just received it as a graduation present.

I couldn't help but roll my eyes. I loathed parents who bought their kids outrageously expensive wheels. Probably because all I was ever going to get to drive to school was a tractor.

So besides being in a state of complete panic, I was also irritated as hell. Grabbing the gear shift, I slammed the car in drive, hit the accelerator, and tore out of the parking lot – just as zombies started to spill out the castle door.

That was close.

Unfortunately for me, I didn't know a thing about Kalamazoo. When I came to the end of the long, winding driveway, I took a deep breath and decided to turn left. With the lights of the city laid out before me like distant stars glimmering steadily in the darkness, I drove around aimlessly while attempting to figure out a game plan.

I couldn't go home. The Dark Ones obviously knew where I lived because they'd sent Grim. I couldn't go to Carmen's house and face her parents. I was still trying to think of a place to go when I saw a series of signs up ahead. The first one read, Do You Need Answers?

“Hells to the yeah,” I mumbled out loud.

The next sign read, Madam Zolstra has the answers you seek.

The last sign with perhaps the most powerful message read, You are not alone! Under those four simple words was an arrow pointing to the right.

I hit the brakes, squealing the tires, and made the turn. The two lane road led directly to the only house at the end of a dark street.

A sign out front said, Welcome to the Purple Raven's Nest.

The three story Gothic Victorian home sat brooding in an isolated part of town. With dangerously pitched roofs, extensive cross gables, and too many arched windows to count gave the house a cathedral like appearance, while a turret mounted on top of a majestic tower and finely detailed scroll work along the single story porch added a whimsical flare.

The entire property was completely surrounded by a wrought iron fence – once black, but now showing a tint of red as rust crept over the surface. Topped with pointy spikes to turn away fools tempted enough to climb over, the imposing fence didn’t make the place look very inviting. Although, to me, that was part of its dark and mysterious charm.

Or maybe I was just fearless like that.

After parking the Jaguar next to the curb, I zapped the engine again to turn it off, not knowing if I could start it up again. Hopping out, I walked along the crumbling sidewalk and couldn't help noticing the way the ancient gate was propped open and held in place by an overgrowth of ivy crawling along the length of the fence like octopus arms.

When I finally reached the porch, I took the creaky wooden steps two at a time. Before I even had a chance to knock on the door, it eased open. A lady in her early twenties – so beautiful she nearly stole my breath – magically appeared as if summoned.

“Welcome,” she greeted, voice raspy. “Please, come in. My name is Serenity.”

I shot her a sideways glance. I wasn't quite sure by, but she totally creeped me out. If it hadn't been for the fact that I smelled the tantalizing aroma of fresh brewed coffee, I would've turned around and headed straight back to the car. Instead, my mouth dripped with need. Nobody, but nobody capable of making coffee that smelled so delicious could be all that bad. Right?

At least, I hoped so.

I cautiously crossed the threshold, never taking my eyes off hers. She wasn't old enough to be the owner of a house like this. “Where's Madam Zolstra?”

“Madam Zolstra was my mother. She passed away, but not before she shared her gift with me.”

Curious, I had to ask. “Gift?”

Serenity smiled warmly. “The gift of sight. Isn't that why you're here? You have questions that you need answered?”

“Questions?” I repeated, staring into her mystical almond shaped eyes.

“Would you like to warm up with some coffee first?”

I nodded, feeling numb. Not just from the cold...more like from overwhelming grief. Tears stinging my eyes, I stubbornly blinked them away. I needed to be strong for my friends. I needed to find a way to help them. But, right now, more than anything else, I needed a cup of coffee to soothe my achy, wretched soul.

Never underestimate the power of coffee. It has the power to fix everything.