Sugar, We're Going Down

“Hey.  Time to wake up.”

Soft lips brushed my cheek and neck.  They lingered on a particularly ticklish spot on my lower neck, right before where the shoulder begins.  I giggled and pushed him away playfully.

“Mark...!”

“Seriously, though, we have to go.”

“Go where?” I sat up and stretched.

He smirked.  “Well, first you need to pack and get in the car.  Dress for lots and lots of sun.”

“Sun?” My hands plunked to my side.  Where could we be going?  California?  Perhaps Florida?  Mexico, maybe?  Cheeto jumped on my bed and plopped down on my lap.

“I heard something about going overseas,” she purred.  I pet behind her ears; her favorite spot.

“Overseas?  What’s overseas that’s so special?” I wondered aloud.

“Maybe he’s trying to get you away from here.  That way you’re not too worried and stressed about Jake and Roland,” Cheeto offered.

I nodded.  “Makes sense.”

“Or, perhaps Lucy decided to take her husband-to-be’s body to a safe place so if he died he’d still be able to come back in the next life,” Lucy said from the doorway.  My eyes widened in pleasant surprise.  She jumped on the bed next to me and we both squealed.

“Do you have a ring yet?” I asked.  She nodded enthusiastically and rolled back the sleeve of her sweater to reveal a giant ruby with a gold band.  It was gorgeous.

“It’s the same one he’s used for the last four or five times... it’s continually been passed down in his family.  Apparently his mom had given it to him only yesterday!  Can you believe that?” she said in one breath.

I smiled, honestly happy for her.  “That’s what I call true love!”

“I know!  I can’t believe it took me this long to admit it!” she held my hands.  “Thank you.  Thank you so, so, so very much, Glaurea!”

I paused.  “Um, why would you call me that?”

“It’s your real name!” she shrugged.  “Why else?”

I laughed with her.  “Yeah, I guess that makes sense...”

“You’re not packed yet?!?” Mark exclaimed.  Lucy jumped out of the bed, still grinning.

“I take blame for it.  I was showing her my wedding ring!” she said.

“Ah, well, David’s out there waiting for you, too.  Come on, Mino, we need to get moving before Jake wakes up and comes over!” he joked.  Lucy ran out of the room, leaving me alone with Mark to pack.  He sat on the bed and chuckled every now and then as I hurried to pack and get ready at the same time.   

A record time of twelve minutes and I was dressed, packed, and ready to go.  Cheeto jumped from his lap to my arms, her head resting on my shoulder. I jumped back in surprise.

“Did you think we would really leave without her?” Mark smiled.

“Of course not!” I answered.  “She’s like a child... where I go she goes.”

“That’s right!” she purred.  I laughed and carried her outside, leaving my bag for Mark to deal with.  I got in the car, next to Oktober, and tried to pull Cheeto’s claws out of my legs.  It had rained sometime during the night and, as we all know, cats hate rain.  Oktober took her from me and strategically laid her on top of her thick jacket.