Chapter 14-Distractions

Edward didn't follow me downstairs, for which I was grateful, although with his mind-reading ability he didn't need to. I often wondered what it would be like to be able to hear every thought running through someone's mind all the time, and not be able to turn it off. If his gift had an on/off switch, like my shield did, then I think it'd be quite cool, but not when you have to listen to the likes of Rosalie and Emmett in the evenings.

Alice was smiling when I reached the living room, and Jacob stood by the door looking ridiculously uncomfortable around all the vampires in the room. Rosalie was glaring at him, and I guessed they didn't get off to a great start. Let's face it; Jacob hates vampires, and Rosalie hates wolves, can it get any better? Yeah, note the sarcasm.

Jacob smiled slightly when I walked in, and my heart almost softened to him, despite what he'd done. Keyword: almost. I didn't return his smile, but walked past him, brushing my arm against his as I walked outside, pretending to ignore him as I lead him deep into the woods surrounding the Cullen home. If I decided to kill his, nobody would know it had been me.

Perfect.

I stopped suddenly, and I felt a sense of déjà vu. I remembered doing a similar thing to Edward the morning I realised he was a vampire. I remembered the day pretty well, considering it was one of my human memories.

I sighed and turned to Jacob, raising my eyebrow in questioning. I folded my arms across my chest, my lips pressing into a thin line, but still Jacob said nothing. I felt anger boiling up inside me, and I let out a hiss. Did he have to be such a jerk?

"What do you have to say?" I spat.

"About what?"

"You know god damned well what!" I said, loudly.

"Oh right. Well I just filled your boyfriend in on what happened to you while he...left. He deserved to know," Jacob said, shrugging nonchalantly.

"Jacob Black! I don't care what your reasoning was, I have asked you not to! It was more than two centuries ago, and we were over it. You just had to bring it up again didn't you?"

Jacob just smirked, which made me madder.

"Do you want to ruin my relationship with Edward? My soulmate?" I asked, practically shouting now.

"Actually, yes," he said, and my mouth dropped open, "I'm waiting for him to make a big enough mistake. You need to know all your options Bella, all of them. You need to know that I'm in love with you."

If possible, my mouth dropped open wider, and I felt a huge weight attach itself to my heart, dragging me down. I sucked in a breath, which sounded like a strangled gasp. Jacob loved me. But I didn't love him, I loved Edward. I shook my head, not in denial, but in disappointment. I think Jacob broke me.

"I thought you understood," I whispered.

"I'm not buying it Bella!" he said angrily.

"Not buying what? How I feel?" I asked, outraged.

"Yes. I know you feel something for me, you're just not admitting it. He has you pulled in so deep, too deep. But I'm going to fight for you Bella, and I'm never going to stop. You do love me, I know you do, more than him. I am right for you, I still am, even though you're a vampire. It doesn't matter! You love me, I love you, he hurts you. It's easy really, you just-"

I lost it then. He thought he could flout all that in front of me? Tell me my feeling weren't real? Tell me that I didn't love Edward, but him? Oh no, he didn't. Yes, he did, said a small voice in my head. I glared at him, fury filling me to the brim. Then I burst.