Chapter 11-The Lion and the Lamb

"How did you do that?" Edward asked in a whisper.

"I've been practising with Kate," I replied.

"Bella that was amazing. Can you do it again?"

I laughed and shook my head.

"It's difficult," I said.

He laughed with me. Gradually, our laughter died down as we looked over our meadow, the sun setting over the horizon, and our significant other beside us. Edward dipped his head over mine, and pressed his lips gently to mine. For once, I kept the kiss as he intended it to be, loving, slow, meaningful.

"'And so the lion fell in love with the lamb'," I quoted Edward.

"The lamb has grown up now. My lamb is a lion," Edward said, smiling slightly regretfully.

"Edward," I said, cupping his cheek, "I love this life. I didn't want to remain human, and if I had, I couldn't spend my eternity with you," I said.

He smiled slightly at me, but his eyes were staring deep into the depths of mine, searching for what could have been, and what might have been. He sighed, and pulled me against him with one arm, pressing a kiss to the top of my head. How long we laid there in comfortable silence, I couldn't have said, but it seemed like only a few minutes before Edward was groaning, and pulling me up.

I ran through the forest after him, and the two of us flew through the Cullen front door, and into the living room, where Alice was waiting for us, the entire family gathered in the living room. Edward growled slightly, and pulled me down onto the couch next to him, throwing Rosalie terrifying glances. He wrapped his arm around me protectively, and watched Alice warily.

"Rose has something to say to you Bella," Alice said quietly.

I looked to Rosalie disbelievingly. For all I knew, she wanted to pretend I didn't exist, yet she had the whole family gathered to speak to me. She smirked at me and looked at Edward, who was breathing heavily, his fists clenched in anger. I rested my hand over his, and he relaxed under my touch.

"When you first came back," Rosalie began, "You said to Carlisle that you thought you'd found a way for vampires to have children," she paused, and I nodded slowly, "Well what the hell are you waiting for?" she demanded.

I stared at her as I realised what she was on about, and winced. Edward drew me into him, and I shook my head at the angry, impatient girl in front of me. She watched me hopefully.

"Rose," I whispered, "It's a theory. It would need testing. For all I know it could kill you."

"I want to be the test subject then," she said stubbornly.

There was only one time that Rosalie didn't look beautifully graceful, and that was when she was being stubborn. She sounded like a spoilt child. Carlisle sighed and stood up, facing the blond beauty.

"Rosalie, think about us, about Emmett. What would he do if Bella's theory killed you? I admit it is highly unlikely, but it is nevertheless possible."

"I don't care Carlisle. You know that I've wanted this forever. And this is my chance!" she said.

I sighed, and held my hands up as I shook my head. Rosalie's head snapped to mine, fury igniting in her eyes as she saw my shaking head. She pursed her lips, and I glanced at Esme, who was watching the scene sorrowfully. I shot Jasper a significant glance, and Rosalie relaxed a little.

"Rose, I know you want this. But I can't. There has to be a way to test it first. We just need time," I said.

"Fine. I can give you time. I have this stupid eternity anyway," she snapped.