Watching You

___

my new idea involving ghosts!!

YAY!

And don't worry,

this story involves romance :L

Enjoy

Oh and comment

>.<

____

Prologue

“Did you hear?”  “Did you hear?”  “Did you hear?”  The question chorused through the halls, everyone whispering to each other.

            Susan Peters ran up to Alex with a frantic look on her face.  “Did you hear?” she asked him.

            “Hear what?” Alex replied, his eyebrows knotting together in confusion.

            “Anna... she...” Susan hesitated, looking at Alex, scared of how he’d react to the news.

            “Anna what?” Alex asked forcefully.

            “Anna is dead.”

            “What?  How?”

            “She... she killed herself.”

            Alex fell to the ground in shock, his hands on his head.  “What have I done?” he whispered to himself.

            Susan ran off to go spread the gossip to everyone else.

            Alex just sat there, leaning against the wall, scared to face everyone else, knowing it’s his entire fault.  It was his entire fault I was dead. 

            Guilt started to bubble inside him, slowly spreading throughout his own body.  A small drop of water, a tear, escape from his eyes and rolled down his cheek.

            “What have I done?” he whispered again, getting back onto his feet and walking down the hall, feeling as lost as ever.  He received vicious stares from my friends, they all hated him. 

            “Come back Anna,” Alex whispered to himself as he sat on his bed, staring out the window at a rainy day.  “Please, come back.”

            “It’s your fault,” I said as I sat next to him on his bed. 

            His head whipped around and as he stared at me with shocked eyes.  “Anna!  I thought you were dead!”

            “I am.”

            “What?  You’re right here, next to me.”

            A laugh left my mouth.  “No, Alex.  I’m dead.  But I’m here to make you regret every little bit of it.”

            “What?  No, you’re alive!  I can see you with my own eyes.”

            “Try touching me then.”

            For the second time that day I saw his eyebrows knot together in confusion.  He extended a curious hand out to my shoulder, only for his hand to fall through it.  At the touch of my transparent body he shifted away from me in shock.  “Am I seeing things?”

            “No, your eyes don’t betray you.  I’m here.”

            “So what are you... a ghost?”

            At that point I was in hysterics.  “You’re funny,” I said when I controlled myself.

            “Do you know how damn confused I am right now?” he asked me.

            “Do you know how damn confused I was a month ago?”

            He didn’t reply to that, knowing I was right.

            “Exactly.  Well I’m not a ghost...”

            “Then what are you?”

            “Well... I don’t know how to put it... the definition of a ghost is a soul or spirit that has unfinished business, blah blah... but what I am is rather... well when you die you... I can’t explain it.  But basically no one else can see me but you.”

            “What?  Why?”

            “Because, you feel guilty.  Your guilt allows you to see me, since I’m the last person you want to face.”

            “But you’re here!  That’s what I want.”

            I shook my head, laughing again.  “Oh no, Alex, that’s not what you want.  You don’t want me around anymore.”

            “Yes I do!  I miss you Anna!  My heart kills me knowing you’re gone.”

            “Your heart only hurts because you feel guilty.  You’re glad you can see me right now because you think you don’t have to live with the fact that I’m dead because of you.  How do you think I like it?  How do you think I like being dead?  Do you know what it’s like to look at your friends crying every day trying to cope with the fact I’m gone.  Seeing them wish it was them and not me?  I can’t ever come back.  So I decided the way I’d get my revenge, is by making you live with the fact that only you can see me.  Only you can hear me.  And you’ll have to live day in day out with me by your side, a reminder of what you did.  Unless I forgive you, which I doubt would ever happen.”

            “Why.... why?”

            “I asked myself the same thing.”

            “Anna...”

            “What?”

            He sighed.  “I don’t know.  I guess I’m prepared to live with it.”

            “Good, because I’m sure to make your life hell.”

            Okay, I bet you’re all entirely confused as to what just happened... so perhaps I should start from the beginning... well, maybe just the ending, because me in diapers is just too early.  No one needs to hear my sappy life story.