Part 10

Huey's Pov.

After finishing my book (which felt like a century) I called Riley just to find out where he was. It's past six now.

The phone rings until I hear an answer. "Ayyyyyeeee nigga."

My eyebrows cringe. "Riley? Where you at?" I hear shuffling on the other side of the line.

"Nigga. Me n C-murph been high and shit..." I hear a girl giggling in the background and guess its Cindy.

"Where you at?" I repeat.

"Chill nigga! I'll be there...soon..." more giggling.

"Why are you giggling then?"

"Man I ain't giggling! That shit gay!"

I sigh and hang up, realising that he won't tell me where he is anytime soon.

I sit on the couch and watch Nelson Mandela: Long walk to freedom. I sigh during the movie. I don't think Idris suited his role, I bet they only selected him because he's black. During the movie, when he's in jail I get bored and just stare at the screen. I keep thinking of other things...right now I'm not thinking about how to make blacks heard, I'm thinking about that mulatto that lives across the street. I shake my head.

What's gotten into me?

Granddad sits down next to me and changes the channel.

"Granddad! I was watching that," I say.

"Ah shut up boy. Ya'll always have the tv..." he browses through the channels and stops at Sex and the city. I sigh, but stay in my spot. I wasn't paying attention to that movie anyway. I was thinking of Jazmine. I'm still thinking of Jazmine.

Granddad glances at me. "Wus wrong?"

I ignore him and watch the scene where Carrie dances at the gay wedding with Big.

"It's that cutie pie, ain't it?"

I turn my head. "How'd you-"

"I know love when I see it...plus I overheard your little argument," he chuckles.

"Love?" I echo. "Granddad I ain't in love."

Granddad turns to me. "Ain't nuthin wrong wit expressing yo feelings, Huey. Go get her. Then you can go back to proving that Jesus was black and shit..." I stare at him. "Before she gone," he adds. That was the first moment I've ever had with Granddad. I feel...weird.

Without saying anything, I stand up and jog to my room where I get my long grey coat and back downstairs. I open the door to leave. "I'll be back Granddad." I shut the door.

Granddad smiles. "That's mah boy."

When step out to go to the Dubois. I see there car parked on the driveway. Mrs Dubois runs out to the car and sits inside. Someone hoots and I here her yell. "Let's go sweety!"

At that moment I hear, "Coming mum!" She comes out of the house locking the door behind her and turns. My mouth opens. Shes dressed in a high-low dress that reveals her long shapey legs. Her usual two puff balls were pulled together into one single puff ball at the back of her head, showing off her hoop earrings. The dress hugs her breast carefully and show off her curves. She sees me and stops in her tracks.

We stare at each other for a long time then the car hoots again. "Jazmine!" Jazmine smiles weakly at me and reluctantly walks into the car. They drive off leaving a trail of dust behind.
I stare at that spot where she was standing and grit my teeth. I can't tell if I'm angry or upset. Maybe both. I'm angry at myself...how could I let her slip away. I shake my head and walk down the road. To the hill.

Our hill.

Cindy's Pov.

Riley and me actually been at mah place da whole time. Mah momma ain't here so we took the opportunity. We lyin on mah bed laughing bout nuthin. The weeds wearing off.

"Reezy, thanks," I say turning to him.

"Fo wut?"

I shrug. "For everything. And tonight...was just...great."

Riley nods. "Fo sho Cindy. You mah girl. Mah girl deserves da best."

"You just call me Cindy?" I ask, puzzled.

He smiles and looks away. I laugh and kiss him on the cheek. "I love you, Riley."

He turns back to me and for a moment I'm scared of his response. He makes a shy smile. "I love you, too. Cindy..."

We exchange both smiles and blushes and kiss.

The sweetest kiss. I was wrong. You can find love with a gangster like Young Reezy. You just gotta hit that soft spot...