Chapter 31

I was awoken the following day by fingertips lightly brushing my cheek. I opened my eyes and immediately squeezed them closed again as the harsh rays of sunshine penetrating the tree's canopy jolted me into full consciousness. Heath and I had fallen asleep on the bank of the lake. My last memory from the night before was lying across Heath's chest as we watched the stars.

"Morning", I mumbled, rolling myself and burying my face into his chest

"Hello Beautiful", Heath replied, pulling me closer to him, so our bodies moulded together

"Mmmm  I murmured as I breathed in his now-familiar comforting scent.

"How do you smell so good first thing in the morning? "I asked?

"I'll never smell as perfect as you do ", Heath replied, nuzzling into my neck.

Soft shrieks pulled us from our embrace and stopped us from fulfilling the scene from the dream id had only a couple of months ago.

"Morning guys "

I greeted the monkeys who were peering at us from the low branches

"Oh damn", I exclaimed, "What time is it"

"Not sure, but it's still pretty early ", Heath replied

"Brax and Marie are leaving today; we have to get back; the least I can do is take them to the airport."

"Heath stood and pulled me to him. " We'll be okay without him; you know that right."

Nodding my head, I smiled reassuringly at him; it was still a little strange to me the way he knew how I was feeling almost before I did

"I know," I said, leading him through the opening of the trees and toward our cabin.

"It'll mean a lot more work for us, and I'd rather be out in the park with you than stuck behind a desk, and I'll miss him; he was the constant male in my life before you, the brother I never had"

Making it back to the cabin, we jumped into the shower together and just made it to the convention centre in time for breakfast.

"Morning all ", I greeted

"Morning, love came my mother's voice from the kitchen

"Good Morning. "Marie's reply was a little curt, and  Looking between Brax and Marie, I could see the tension that hung in the air between them. Unwilling to let their obvious problems ruin my perfect morning, I quickly grabbed some fruit and sat at the table while Heath disappeared into the kitchen seeking coffee.

"What's up? " The silence in the room pushed me to ask

"I've decided to stay for a while longer and Marie's quite upset," Brax stated the obvious 

Studying the pair, I was a little unsure of how to respond; on the one hand, I was pleased Brax was staying, but I did not want to be the cause of any strain between the new couple

"Um, are you sure ..? We can cope if you want to go."

"Brax smiled at my attempt at being diplomatic.

"I'm sure Jace and Marie understand's don't you love? I can't just leave you in the lurch like that."

It's fine Jacey, really; I'm just over-emotional, that's all," Marie finally spoke.

"Well, I suppose we better be getting you to the airport then; if you're still leaving today id love it if you could stay."

I'd love too but I can't," Marie answered, "and Fernando has offered to run me in, but you can help me get my bags if you like."