Chapter 18

++++++++++Heaths Pov++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Waking early, I was the first into the shower; standing under the powerful jets, I suppressed my lion and enjoyed the needle-like pricks on my skin, it was a very pleasant thing to do, and I had to admit as I stood there enjoying the spray being clean was nice too. However, I still didn't understand the need to do it every day, sometimes twice. However, both Paul and Declan had insisted it was a major requirement if I wished to live among humans; what I would not do, however, was spray stinking stuff called aftershave that the others used; Declan had bought me some the day we went shopping, and it was still sitting unopened on my clothes cupboard.

I had no idea what to wear or exactly what sort of work I was doing from the book's id been reading it appeared the things you could do for work in the human world varied greatly. Each required a different set of clothing altogether, I decided to go with a pair of jeans and a plain t-shirt I had seen Liam wearing similar when he came to the house, and if it wasn't right then, id have to change.

Walking downstairs, I could hear Liam already in the kitchen with Paul having breakfast. I liked breakfast, and I liked being able to taste all different kinds of foods like fruit and lollies, although Declan still laughed when I consumed them together; the first time I had been given water to drink out of a glass had left both paul and Declan rolling on the floor in hysterics, Determined to show how much I had learnt I strutted straight into the kitchen greeting both paul and Liam as I went and proceeding straight to the cupboard I expertly extracted a bowl and then the cereal before adding milk sitting down at the counter opposite the two I poured orange juice into a bowl and proceeded to eat, even remembering to keep my mouth closed and not speak.

When I was finished, Paul just nodded at my empty plate with a smile on his face and left the room.

"Ready to go" nodding I eagerly followed Liam to the car

You've been very quiet; what's up" Liam asked once we had been driving for about 10 minutes

"I'm excited, nervous and hoping I don't stuff it up" I was silent for a moment considering how I felt about it all, "Everyone has been so good to me, given me so much and shared a lot of themselves; I'll never be able to pay you all back, but at least working or learning to work I can start to contribute a bit, and I will be able to help Jacey when I return I immediately brightened at the mention of Her.

"She must be something this mate of yours all your putting yourself through to be with her" I just nodded at Liam's statement talking about her hurt too much even when I didn't think of her I could feel the gap in my heart where she should be thinking about her made it pound and crack that little bit more I felt the need to be with her more each day it was torture being without her"

We pulled up to a large fenced-in area with bits of buildings scattered about within their were trucks and other large vehicles moving about. Getting out of the truck Liam addressed me quietly "now remember if anyone asks you are pauls nephew, you live on a farm, but the dry season has forced you to come to the city for work. It's not a great cover story, but it will explain why someone your age is so green" I looked down at my clothes and then back up to Liam; what did he mean green I was wearing a red shirt. Before I could ask, he slapped me on the back and laughed," C'mon cub, it's an expression it means new to things let's get you started."

I spent most of the morning digging with a tool called a shovel; apparently, I was digging a trench for the sewage or something like that; moving dirt from one place to another seemed like meerkat work to me, not lions. I had watched something on the square thing that talked to you the other night calling us kings of the jungle, id never been to a jungle,