Chapter 30

"They loved it," Marie said, walking up behind Heath and myself.

We were standing slightly off to the side, watching the tribal display that the villagers had put on. It was vibrant and beautiful. They had bought drums, and the men and women moved in time with the beat wearing colourful headdresses made of feathers and beads. The women were topless but in a tasteful way, and the men had all sorts of designs painted on them. They were telling a story with their moves if it was the story of a young virgin woman who journeyed to a far off tribe and found her true love, which reunited the tribes who had been feuding on and off for years.

I turned to Marie as the dancers moved and began another display

"I'm glad, Marie" "We both are", Heath put in, wrapping his arm securely around me.

Marie barely concealed her worried look, this was the first time Heath and I had shown any affection in front of her.

"Yes, well, I'm pleased you are happy for your employer Heath isn't it?" Marie said

I bristled at Marie's tone and answered her sharply

"Heath isn't just an employee, Marie, and I'm offended you would even say that to him."

"Jacey, please, he's been around five minutes."

"Actually, Marie, I met Heath the first day I was here, and we fell in love immediately. I didn't know it then, but he is my soul mate in more ways than you could understand"

Marie stood and studied Heath and me for several moments before she spoke again.

"I'm sorry, Jacey. I just don't want to see you taken advantage of"

"I know that Marie, but I'm not as vulnerable or Naive as I once was; these months here have changed me; meeting Heath was a huge part of that."

"Ok, Jace, I can see that and Heath, I'm sorry, I get rather protective of my girl" She gave Heath a warm smile and draped an arm over my shoulder " The investors and I would like a quick meeting this afternoon to discuss the future of the park if you have time " She added.

The feeling of dread I had been fighting off all day once again settled in my stomach. After today the park was meant to become partly mine until the budget they had authorised was paid back; then, it was all mine.

Forcing a smile, I answered, "of cause Marie once the other guests have departed ill meet you in the convention centre, say around 4 pm.

"Don't look so worried; I told you they love the place. Marie attempted to reassure me.

I sighed to myself and gripped heaths arm. I was afraid they liked it too much and wanted to keep it all.

The rest of the afternoon passed quickly, and all the guests left happy the tourism advisers made noises about adding us to the guidebook, and the representatives from the conservation society mentioned they had several animals in need of homes they would be happy to donate to me and promised to be in touch soon. It was a successful day all around, and if it were not for the pending meeting with the investors, I would have been happy too.

It was with great trepidation I made my way across the grassed area to the convention centre.

Entering the room, I was surprised to see only three other people Mr Jenkins Marie and Brax, populated it. Papers were strewn on the table before them, and it appeared they had started without me.

"Jacey come in, take a seat; this won't take long ", Mr Jenkins greeted me, gesturing towards a seat near him.

I sat still, unsure of what to think. Then, I noticed my budget sheets and several bank statements amongst the papers on the table.

"You have built what we think will be quite a successful business here, Jacey", Mr Jenkins addressed me. "In fact, I was just telling Marie what a genius she was for putting you in charge.

I held my breath at this comment, knowing what was coming next, they were keeping the park, and my cut of the profit and any hope of being sole owner was gone.

Mr Jenkins continued, " However it remains true that this sort of venture is not something we can be a part of long term. Brax here is a valued employee and needed back at home as soon as possible" I nodded to let him know I was listening. I just didn't trust my voice to respond right now.

"The offer Marie made of a 25% share of the profits was a generous one at the time; however, after spending some time here the other Trustees, Marie and I have had another idea, looking at the budget you have not yet spent the full 2 million dollar budget we extended you.

Brax broke into the conversation then, "Excluding the land costs; we have spent almost $800,000 to date."

" We are prepared to absorb the cost of the land, leaving you only what you have spent on animals and building to repay. We also want to offer you full ownership of the park effective today conditioned that you will set aside at least 25% of the profit to repay us as soon as you can the remaining amount will be set aside for you to help with incidentials and day to day costs, Marie here will be responsible for repaying that part."

I looked at Marie, who was studying my reaction. It took me a few seconds to absorb exactly what Mr Jenkins was saying. I broke into a grin.

"It's mine," I exclaimed

Marie came around the table and embraced me. "It is Jacey. We have the deed which has been signed over Lions Haven is 100% yours if you want it."

"Of cause, Thank you" I moved across the room and embraced Mr Jenkins "you don't know what this means", I stuttered around the tears that were beginning to flow.

"shush, dear ", He awkwardly hugged me back ", You will have eight years to repay the 800,000, providing you are making a profit. If not, we may be able to extend it or come to a new arrangement,"

"We can work out the details later. It's almost time to go," Marie interceded.

I just nodded with a stupid grin on my face.

Mr Jenkins took his leave then, and it was just Marie Brax and I

"You can come home too," Maree whispered to Brax as she wrapped herself around him and peered up into his eyes

"Yeah, I suppose mumbled Brax looking slightly embarrassed by her show of affection.

I had known something had been going on between them the last few visits that Maree had paid, but this was the first time I had seen them treat each other with anything but friendship and professionalism.