chapter 3

++++ Jaceys Pov++++

Watching the car approach the cabin, down the tiny track that existed only through the persistence and sheer stubbornness of the workers from last week, I repressed a giggle at what poor prim and proper Miss New York herself must think of it. This was only her second trip here; the first was when she purchased the property, and her real estate agent had insisted on a helicopter flyover.

I frowned as I approached the car. She wasn't alone. 'Oh God, please don't let her be matchmaking again.' I thought leaving New York would have put a stop to that.

"Jacey, darling!" Marie exclaimed as she stepped from the executive model Mercedes 4WD which was definitely not made for these conditions that she had driven into. "It's so good to see you. You look ah, um,.." she glanced around, searching for words.

Bemused, I decided to let her flounder. Marie was not one to be lost for words. I became aware of my current attire of beige cut-off cargo pants and white linen shirt knotted just above my navel and my long waist-length black hair that is normally free-flowing. But now, I pulled it into the tightest bun as high on my head as I could manage, and it was not how Marie was used to seeing. Come to think of it. I'm not sure if she had ever seen me out of my heels before because now, I'm sporting from a very different style to ankle walking boots in baby shit brown.

"Great, darling. You look very at home here." she finally finished. I laughed and moved to hug her.

"Braxton is coming." she gestured to the passenger door of the car.

"Oh." I sighed in relief. It was only Braxton, Marie's sometimes assistant. Why was he here? ...maybe she was matchmaking. 

He wasn't my normal type. He was about 5'8", short but tall; brown hair curled around his ears and a nice muscular frame.

"Jacey." she interrupted my checking him out and knowingly raised her eyebrows. "You remember Braxton James?"

"Of course." I smiled at him. You were on a sabbatical last time I heard. Nice to see you again?

Braxton and I had known each other for a few years we had almost started something once but Id thought of him as more of a brotherly figure I smirked to myself Marie must be slipping. 

Let's get inside out of this infernal heat. I could use a drink. Marie interjected

we moved into the cabin, and I directed Marie and Braxton to sit on the small settee while I fixed martinis and sat in the seat opposite.

"Now, Jacey", Marie began with the tone she usually used to tell shareholders they had lost their investement.

I imagine your wondering why Brax is with me, taking a breath and not looking directly at me, she continued. "You know Brax used to work for me. and when he returned from his leave, I already had a new assistant." I nodded at this. I had been filling in for Brax before I came to Africa.  "Well, Marie continued, the company wanted to retain him, so they decided he would be a great assistant to you, maybe, even relief manager. He has a lot of valuable experience. He has spent time in great parks throughout Africa and has even started a diploma course in Tourism; he already had his Finance degree." she waved her hand in the air and smiled at me, realizing she had been rambling and that I had noticed.

"Marie." I started, barely containing my anger. "I thought we had an agreement that I would be the one to decide on staffing and the daily running of the park?"

"Yes. Yes, dear," she answered, clearly dismissing me.

"...and you, of course, you do. I just know how hard it's been for you; Braxton here would ease your burden. Just try it, please, for me." she patted me on the arm as if her statement had clarified the issue.