**Chapter 19** Walked?

A smile... No. The smile that Matt had conjured up on me lasted for a while. When we were walking away from the buses, I felt his soft skin slide up against my arm. Slowly his hand worked its way into mine. Yes! I was glad that Brittany's hand wasn't the last one I would ever hold! Matt's grip felt good. His big fingers entwined with mine made me happy... Well, happier.

I felt as if I couldn't control my emotions! He had me crazy! He made me feel all giggly, and I Wasn't that kind of girl! I didn't really understand how or why he liked me. There wasn't much to like. At least, I knew it was for me, not my body because there wasn't too much to offer. My waist was average size. I didn't have much of curves though. I was a B-cup in bra and didn't have a big butt. Oh well, I had a boyfriend now. I shouldn't have worried, but it was hard not to, especially with high school guys.

"So. You have third lunch?" he asked looking forward.

"Yeah. You?"

"Same. I'm going to sit with you today." he looked at me for a response.

"Ugh. Maybe you shouldn't." I didn't want him to sit with me and realize that I didn't talk much and that I sat with a 'friend' that didn't seem to be much of one.

"Oh. That's cool." he said with a hint of disappointment. Really! We've already hit disappointment, and we had just started dating like five minutes ago!

"It's not that I don't want you to sit with me. It's just tha-"

"No. Don't worry about it. Hey, uh.. I'm gonna talk to my friends. I'll catch up with you later. Okay?"

"Sure. Sure. Go ahead. Bye." I could feel his fingers freeing themself. That was a sucky feeling. It felt like rejection. Maybe that was what he had felt. Hmmm. I hoped not. I felt stranded. He had left me, and he hadn't even said goodbye back. Ugh. I let out a deep breath of sorrow. Miranda's sparkly shoes caught my eye. I walked over, hoping to have someone to talk to. She was in a group. I tapped her shoulder. She quickly turned around with a blank look on her face. She looked like a bimbo... again.

"Oh, hey! What's up?"

"Not much. You?" That was a lie, but I wasn't gonna 'spill', as she called it, in front of her group. I didn't see one person in there that I knew.

"Oh, really? I saw you and Matt on the bus! Are y'all a thing?"

"Yeah... kinda."

"Kinda?" She turned to her group and said, "Hey, I'm gonna walk around with Michelle. See you guys later."

"So go on." she insisted as we began to walk around the school.

"Well, we're dating,.... technically. I think he's mad because I said I didn't want him to sit with me at lunch."

"Michelle! If you said it like that, then yeah he kinda should be mad."

"I didn't. He brought it up, and I told him that I didn't think it was such a good idea." Her gaze was on me with a half-opened mouth. So I continued.

"If you don't know this, all I do at lunch is sit next to Natasha while she runs her mouth. Not even to me! Why would I want my boyfriend to see me as a loser!" She smiled because I used the words my and boyfriend. She had only heard that about one other guy.

"I'm still just so excited for you! Wait, what lunch do you and Matt have?"

"Third."

"Oh, so do I. Just sit with me. I sit outside. That's probably why I've never seen you."

"Oh, okay." I was kind of shocked that she had the same lunch as me and hadn't told me. I knew I had told her before that I had third. Whatever. I didn't care. I was more worried about Matt.

"Oh!" I got her attention, "So I heard you walked yesterday?"

"Walked? Is that a trick question?" She looked like a bimbo for the second time in one day.

"Oh! That's right! Not walked! Skipped! You skipped yesterday, right?" I teased.

"Michelle! Shut up! I don't want everyone knowing my business! And no, I didn't skip. Who told you that?"

"Brittany."

"Hmm.. I wonder where she found that out from. Any way, nah. I didn't."

"Well, you weren't here. So where were you?"

"I had a dentist's appointment. Yeah, go ahead and laugh! I know it sounds nerdy compared to skipping!" I let a smile slowly appear, and let out one of those lawnmower laughs. You know the one! It's where you try not to laugh, but you end up laughing with your mouth closed, and it sounds like something is stuck in your throat.