**Chapter 11** Douches and Shoes

I took my seat on the bus, near the back, of course. I waited for Miranda to get on. She didn't. Awesome! Life sucked. So the bus began to fill up. Some dude asked if he could sit with me. I had to say yes because there were hardly any seats, and I hoped someone would do the same for me if I were in that position. He sat down a little too close. Then, he nudged around, and I tried not to make eye contact.

"I'm Jamie."

"Michelle." At least he was talkative.

"I'm a junior. How 'bout yourself?" he asked politely.

"Oh.. freshman."

"That's cool. We needed some fresh meat around here."

"Oh really. Well you got what you wanted. We're at the bottom of the food chain. Last year, we felt like big ballers." I laughed trying to seem somewhat interesting.

"Oh yeah, I bet. Next year, I'll feel that way."

"Yup." I was beggining to think this conversation was going to be a dead end.

"So... Are you and your friend, Miranda, virgins?"

Was this kid joking, or was he really that stupid to ask? I ignored him and the question. You couldn't ask a girl that, especially me. I believed in waiting until marriage. I was old-fashioned sometimes, and it did get my share of embarrassment, but it was worth it.

"Are you?" he insisted.

"What do you think!" I said, facing him with a dirty look.

"I don't know! I was just asking!" he said like it was no big deal, and he was being accused of something he didn't do.

"Well, it's none of your business. Just shut up, and leave me alone." I said, looking out the window.

There was no response. I was glad! He was douche bag and an idiot. He obviously didn't know how to talk to girls or at least the good kind of girls. The bus ride seemed to last an eternity, even though he was the fifth one off. I looked down at my shoes again, not knowing why. They were cute, lonely but cute. There were no other shoes in the seat but them. 'Poor shoes.' I thought to myself. The screeching noise of the bus stop awoke me from my thoughts. It was my stop. Thank goodness. I stood up, expecting others like Matt or Rep to stand too. No one stood but me. My lonely shoes and I. At least my shoes were a pair.