3. dysfunctional

why she so pretty, not fair

3. dysfunctional

Zara's mornings were a lot different than Calum's. Whilst Calum was woken up by one of his mothers opening the curtains, Zara was either woken up by screams, laughs, or cries. Every time her morning sleep was disturbed she prayed it was by laughs, screams and cries were almost never good.

In the Ramos' household mornings were eventful and messy, scrambled eggs sometimes got in the walls, tears stained shirts but almost all the time laughs filled the cozy home.

They had a tough life, but they were happy. Zara's moms and dads were highschool friends that dreamt of having a big family and well, they did, but the females couldn't handle the baby cries, diapers, school reports and all so they just took off leaving five kids behind, Zara being the oldest.

She could obviously remember her mothers quite well since she was twelve when they left. Jonah was 10, Zack was 8, Lucas was 5 and Jasmin was only 2 years old.

Now, 5 years later, things were difficult but they managed. Their dads, unfortunately, weren't around, since they were only two and needed to earn money for themselves and five kids they had to take a job that paid much more but was a six hour plane ride from the kids. Every month they sent money and were constantly in contact with their children. The money wasn't enough for bills, clothes, food, medical expenses and school supplies for five children so the three older kids all had jobs. Zara worked some occasional shifts at the coffee shop and the record shop, Jonah helped a family friend over at their grocery shop and Zack, well Zack just stole some money once in a while. Zara knew it wasn't correct and her heart filled with guilt, but they needed it and Zack was a sneaky kid. Lucas and Jasmin just charmed the old ladies and they would give them some bills or change everyone once in a while. And that's the Ramos' family business pretty much.

Tuesday morning was no different, Zara's mattress bounced as a seven year old girl jumped on it. Zara's heart was still wounded from Calum's words the day before but she had bigger problems to worry about like taking care of her family. She didn't get it though, Calum was so into it that night, why did he say those mean words? But Zara didn't get why she cared either. She wasn't straight, that's for sure. Can you imagine how weird it would be? Zara doesn't like boys, she just likes Calum a little bit. Maybe she's Calum-sexual? Is that a thing? It might as well, have you seen that boy? Damn. That's over anyways, her conscience added and she mindlessly nodded her head while keeping her eyes closed. Jasmin was still laughing and jumping up and down.

"Zara! Get up!" Jasmin giggled and played with Zara's curly hair.

Zara rubbed her eyes and yawned. "Are you dressed, Jas?"

"No, I want your help to pick an outfit!" Jasmin's sweet voice filled the small room, which consisted of a bed, side table and clothes hanger only.

"Let's go then."

The two girls skipped to the room just across the hall that was occupied by Jasmin and Lucas.

"Lucas, c'mon, time to get up." Zara said and she shook the boy's shoulder slightly, Lucas was on the top bunk covered by a bunch of blankets even though it was not that cold. It was a thing he had since he was a baby, it could be burning hot outside, the boy would still sleep with at least two heavy blankets on top of him.

"No!" Lucas groaned when his older sister ripped the covers off him.

"Yes, everyone is up already. Let's go, you're gonna make us all be late." Every morning it was the same thing, Lucas made them all be late to school. Something they had to avoid at all costs because they might ask for their parents to come to school and well, they obviously wouldn't be able to make it. Zara knew what she was doing was illegal, she's a minor she can't be in charge of four other minors. But she has to.