Code Red

Once again, I was in a bitter mood driving home. I was mad at Rachel. Really mad. She was taking everything from me. She had spent the past 2 days with Tequila, befriending my barn friends, and getting close with David. Not that it bothered me. I didn’t like him anyway.

Oh who am I kidding, I said to myself. I was jealous beyond belief at Rachel. When I heard that she was going out with David, I felt my body burn with fury. And then, just when I was leaving, I saw her laughing with Jessie and Rebecca. Sure they yelled bye to me and hugged me for the umpteenth time, but it didn’t matter. Rachel was stealing my life from me, and it hurt more than anything.

I took out the advertisements Lauren had given me, hoping they might take my mind off everything. I smiled recalling how I had chosen Tequila. She was my trainer’s least favorite horse out of the bunch. Lauren didn’t think she would make it far, but I had my mind set on the black mare. Something about the way she looked at me; her soft nicker – it made me want her to be my partner through competition. And boy had we proven Lauren wrong.

There were some lovely horses in the bunch; the kinds of horses girls like me dreamed of riding. But I just shuffled through them all, stopping only for one.

‘Code Red a.k.a Dynamite,’ the ad read. I looked over his picture. He was a tall chestnut gelding who ‘could jump the moon’. My brow creased as I read intently. Apparently, his owner didn’t have enough time for the ‘greedy gelding’. He was an Irish Hunter and excelled in dressage, cross country, and especially show jumping. No vices, but was a tough horse to ride. No wonder he’s so cheap, I thought, flipping the crisp page to see the next horse.

I was home before I knew it. As I zombie-walked out of the car, into my house, and up to my room, my troubles came back to me. I decided that I was being really stupid.  Tequila loved me more than any other person, and Rachel wasn’t replacing me. Jessica and Rebecca could be friends with Rachel too. And those girls in the office sounded like they were 8. How would they know who was dating who? And if David was dating Rachel, why would he kiss me?  Comforted with my words, I showered and changing into my PJ’s. My parents both kissed me goodnight – they never stopped down that, even though I was 16. But I liked it. It made me feel like I was 7 again, and I didn’t have to worry about anything. No friend or boy troubles. Just a feeling of love and serenity, lulling me to sleep.

- - -

The next morning, I knew I had to go to school since I had already missed enough work and didn’t want to fall too far behind with my classes.  I took my time getting ready since I’d waken up earlier anyways.  I threw on a long-sleeved shirt that was fitted, and a pair of skinny jeans. I let my long, raven hair fall down in its natural, loose curls. With some make-up, I decided to go pack my books and walked downstairs, picking up four waffles for school. Me and Rachel always had this tradition that she would wait for me, and I would always bring her down my breakfast (which was always waffles).  But today, I hesitated. What if she was walking to school with Jess and Becca? Or David (even though they weren’t dating!)? Finally, I reached for all four and said bye to my parents. I threw on a coat that I’d gotten from Hollister and the same knitted scarf I wore yesterday. My mittens were scarlet, just like my ear-muffs. I picked up my book bag, letting it hang on one shoulder as I bit into the delicious Belgian waffle.

The last thing I grabbed was my cell-phone before I walked out my door, hopping down my stairs in my Uggs. Rachel was already there with David. Oh goodness, it was true. I felt as if all the troubles of the world had come tumbling on my shoulders. “Shit!” I hissed to myself as I avoided eye contact with him. “Hey Rachel,” I said softly, giving her a quick hug. “I brought you waffles,” I said, using the same weak voice.