Office Secrets

I was in a bad mood again when my dad drove me home. He was upset with me too because I talked back and ‘disrespected’  everyone that was there. He had told Lauren that she was still my trainer, which made no sense to me because I didn’t have a horse that I could train on, and I wasn’t about to ride someone else’s horse. Oh no. It was different when Tequila was okay, but not when she was in some dark, small stall where nobody walked past to sneak her a peppermint, or carrot.

The majority of the car ride home was silent and the whole mood was tense. I could tell my father was furious with me, but that didn’t bother me. I kept thinking about David, and I wasn’t so upset anymore. I looked down at my phone and played with it, wondering if he was going to be in the barn tomorrow. 

“I’m sorry dad,” I finally said, my voice sincere. “I’ve just been so stressed out about everything that’s been happening. I’ll apologize to Lauren and Dr. Keller first thing tomorrow.”

My father shook his head as he took a left. “I was actually wondering if we should take a break from the stables for a few days. Let you get better before you go back, you know?”

I looked at him with my mouth wide open. I was about to respond with a harsh retort, but I stopped myself. “I don’t know dad. I like it there. Just one more chance… Please?” I batted my eyelashes and made the cutest puppy dog face I could manage. My dad always cracked.

He laughed and finally nodded. “Okay, Katherine. We’ll see how you feel in the morning.”

-          - -

The next morning, I rubbed my eyes awake in my bed. Groaning sleepily, I moved my feet to the freezing hardwood floor, searching for my slippers. I finally found them and moved to the bathroom, hardly lifting my feet as I made my way over. Mornings weren’t my favorite part of the morning.

After brushing my teeth, I finally made my way downstairs, slowly dropping down each step. “Katherine! You’re 16; put some pep in that step!” my mother called from the kitchen. I purposely slowed down, but I couldn’t resist the delicious aroma of waffles that was lacing its way to my nose.

“How was Tequila?” my mom asked, shaking powdered sugar over my waffles.

“She’s doing great. I really missed her.”

My mom flashed me a genuine caring smile as she handed me the plate. “Maybe I’ll take you to the stables today,” she suggested, looking over to my father who was busy reading a newspaper. My mom shrugged at me, making me laugh.  “Maybe,” I responded.

-          - -

                I was one of the first riders at the barn apart from some of the older boarders. They all smiled at me and said nice things. “Someone’s a celebrity,” my mom teased as I snaked my way past a few horses, trying to get to the downstairs stalls. “You want to be with Tequila for a while?” I asked, pointing to the stairway. “She’s all the way at the end.”

                My mom nodded and stepped down the illuminate stairway. I watched her until I heard Tequila give a welcoming snort. I was grateful my mom didn’t ask why I wanted her to go alone. I had seen David’s truck in the parking lot.

                Wow, I said to myself. I’m starting to sound like a stalker…

                “Hey, Kat,” Jessie said, coming up from behind me. I smiled brightly, my face lighting up as I saw her. “Want to help me turn a few horses out? Soon they’ll have to stay in all winter because it’ll be cold, and Beth really wants them to have a few more days of fresh air.”