Chapter 4. Unwanted Spiral

Why was i crying? How would this running help me hide my fears? The truth was already a reality. Just another nightmare's beckoning call telling me to wake up. I tripped in the dark hallway, just a crash in pitch black darkness. I..I'm linked to her, i couldn't let her have the satisfaction of me feeling this pain. What did i truly expect Zero to be? "Perhaps you knew this all along" my sisters voice trailed off. I then saw her face, her long white hair, thick lashes and her sky blue eyes. No, they were no longer blue but instead the colour of despair. Zero's eyes looked exactly the same a few minutes ago, stuck in a bloody trance, unable to find their true self. No, that was their true self. In an instant Kurai's face vanished with a smile of satisfaction on her face. "Stop crying you fool" i told myself over again until i felt nothing. I simply got up and left.

As i walked past the headmasters office, not sure if i should apologise for running off on him after he ran off on me but the whole concept of apologizing for that reason seemed stupid. I wanted to talk to Kaname. If anyone knows what i am, he does. Instead i kept walking and followed the blank wooden planks upon the floor until i notice a door nearly closed,  the headmaster walking out of the room. "Oh Scarlett, you scared me" he said. "It's fine, is Zero in there?" i asked not even sure why i would ask such a useless question. To my surprise headmaster Cross said "Yes, but im afraid he isn't quite himself lately, best to keep your distance today"."Oh okay, thanks" I said quite oddly. Why was i even thanking him i thought stupidly. As i waited for the headmaster to leave, i sneaked back to the forbidden room and once i slowly opened the door, the wooden planks cracked. At the exact same time I stepped on an unforgiving wooden plank, i heard the quick sound of chains rattling and a gun cocked towards my face.

"I'm not scared of you" I said in a more serious tone than i wanted to. "Just leave, I'm not in the mood to put up with children" he said even more menacing than i was. "Then stop acting like one" i said in retaliation. "What do you want and why are you here?" Zero spoke very grim. He was laying against the wall and looked like he was in intolerable pain. I swiftly opened the curtains. "You know, just to brighten your day" i said sarcastically. "Don't play games with me!". "Why? Scared you'll lose? I know what you are, and if you hadn't noticed i'm not judging you harshly. I didn't get the greatest news either" I was starting to become angry for no reason, was this her doing i wondered. "What is worse than realising you are a beast only through hurting someone you care about and unable to control urges you have held back for years?" I really felt for Zero, being a hunter, he probably despised vampires more than i can imagine. "To know your life is in someone else's hands. To always be haunted by your past, but you must know about that too" I said sympathetically. He just stared, empty, no emotion in his eyes. "And not to worry, the girl you care for will stay by your side, even when you have a tendency to bite" i smiled at that."I'm sorry"Zero said in a whisper. Those two words hit me harder than anything someone had ever said before. Did he mean it for me though, probably not, she will always be the one in his eyes. I sighed. "You didn't do anything wrong" i said in another whisper just slightly louder than his. As i stared out the window, i closed the curtain and asked out of sheer curiousity "How long has it been since?...Why aren't you in the nightclass?". Now it was his turn to sigh, "Four years. I have no tolerance for the rest of those beasts in human form and i refuse to obey Kaname Kuran". I was quite happy he had told me the truth this time. "What exactly are you, i cannot sense a vampire but your not a human?" he asked doubly as curious as i had been. "I'm linked to a vampire yet i am human. I wonder which would affect me more, a vampire hunters weapon or regular bullet? Hmm?" i thought foolishy. His gaze widened with familiarity. "Well i guess that is up for you to decide". "For something short and sweet, i quite prefer to linger. You can always try one day if your still unsure" I said. "I need to leave and so do you, get some fresh air, the air here is becoming unpleasant. Good bye Zero, think about what i said" i quietly left the room.

"Yuki, are you okay? You have been awfully quiet all day" Yori asked. "Oh im fine! Don't worry, i should be more careful next time I'm on patrol"Yuki replied, comfirming she was okay. As we all walked, each moment Yuki looked more intense and worried. "Yuki?"I said wondering how long it would take her to notice a voice calling to her. This happens quite alot to myself so i was quite considerate in the amount of time i would give her. After all patience Is a virtue. After a long second she finally lifted her head and i noticed she was biting her lip profusely. "Huh?" Yuki said. "Me and Yori are going to head back to the dorms, are you coming?" I asked, this time with patience. "Oh, i will meet you guys there. I have a few things to do first though" Yuki said kindly. As we all nodded in agreement, Yori and i parted ways with Yuki just like that. "Is everything alright with Yuki?" I asked Yori, curious. "..She just has alot on her mind right now, and with the night patrols, she never seems to be getting any sleep" Yori confirmed. "oh okay, i hope she's alright" As we slowly walked back to the dorms, i noticed Zero out of the corner of my eye, leaving the school grounds. I breathed heavy and looked over to him so that we both shared glances now. We exchanged acknowlodgement of each other. The thought of him not giving me a menacing look made me smile.

Yori and i departed once we reached our dorms because we both were busy with our own priorities. "Ka..Kaname" i said unsure of whether or not he was standing in the hallway. "Would you know where the headmaster is right now Scarlett?" he spoke calm. "Well i saw him this morning but that was all sorry" I said. "Thats fine, i just need to discuss something with him when he comes back". I thought to myself, not something but who. "Not to worry" he said "He will be fine". Did he already notice the distress i had for Zero just by my facial expression? "That's...a relief?" i said nervously. Oh no! My dagger fell out of my garter to quickly to catch it making a very loud ding as it entered the grounds of the floor. "I'm sorry" i said quickly "I really need to be more careful". "Yes" Kaname replied. "Wouldn't want another bandaged leg would we" he said with such certainty. How did he know unless......Yes, it must have been him when my leg was bloody and i staggered through the school grounds. I remember seeing him once across the school and yet again when i leaned against the cold window near the staircase. "Yes. I have to go, nice seeing you again" I said slowly tripping on my own words. "The pleasure is mine" he said loud and clear. As we both started walking our seperate ways, i saw her face and that evil cunning smile. Suddenly i gasped for air as i felt her sword through my stomach. I dropped to my knees and was surrounded by darkness. And then she was gone.