Chapter 2. Descending.

"Just as i predicted" I muttered to myself with a smirk. I looked outside my window, rain pouring, skies darkening and I thought of him. I hope is he is soaking wet, disappearing on someone before they got the satisfaction of proving them wrong, hmm how rude i thought with a smile. After I withdrew my gun from the last shot, all I heard was the familiar sound of my parents voices screaming: "Get Out! Just Leave!". I dropped to the ground with guilt or shame, anger pulsing through me as bitter memories became to hard to bear. "Get out of my head!" I screamed, although the room, the hallways, the other dorms were perfectly silent. I silently too shed a tear in sink with the sound of the rain. It was finally peaceful, the perfect lullaby of the pouring rain outside and sound of my own heart beating was the only thing I could hear. I unclenched my fists, and slowly opened my eyes with my regained sanity.

Before i knew it, I was sitting at a desk in my usual classroom next to Yuki and Yori beside her. I slowly nudged Yuki whilst Yori tried words to wake her up. "Yuki they're serving ginger pork stir fry today" Yori said with a guilty smile. Suddenly Yuki stood up and said loud enough for the whole class to hear "It's time to chow down!". Suddenly embarrassed at her remark she sat down quickly to hide her self. "YUKI, the disciplinary committee must be quite taxing for you, between you and Zero!" the teacher said unimpressed. The three of us all stared back directly behind us and noticed Zero was sound asleep on the desk. "STAY AFTER CLASS!" he demanded. "Ohhhh" was all Yuki replied.

Yuki tried to convince both Yori and I to stay in detention with her, though neither of us were interested. Finally she reeled me in and I complied with her request. I asked her about the "disciplinary team" whilst she jotted down notes from the board in front of us. As she explained how she and Zero were both guardians at the academy i wondered why an academy as peaceful as this would need protecting, especially what from. Or maybe they were just the reason why the school was so peaceful. "No wonder you are getting sleep during class, your always out so late, you truly are becoming a creature of the night" i said. "First Yori, then you, you don't possibly think they exist?" she said quick and nervously. "Huh?" i said as if i was completely oblivious to what she was talking about even though i knew otherwise, it seemed to make her more comfortable. "That's a relief. Now let's get out of here, wait where is Zero?" she asked worriedly. "Um Yuki, you do realise he has been gone for the past half hour?" "HUHHH!" she said in a loud frustrated tone.

As Yuki and i moved towards the stables, i told her to go ahead and i would just be waiting under the tree. "Okay" she said. After minutes of bickering inside the stables, Zero rushed outside, agitated and his eyes found my face, and simply glared. I turned my head, and shook it slowly as if asking "Is something the matter?" with my lips positioned in a tight, half smile and my eyes locked in a smoulder. He gave out a frustrated sigh and turned around to walk as far away from me as possible. My eyes steadied from him to the ground as i was about to get up but they focused on a tablet in the grass instead. I looked back behind me. It couldn't be...

Another memory relapsed my vision and i uncontrollably became lost in my own shattering dream. "Kurai, stop you  don't need to do this" i screeched. "They have always been by your side!" I stared past Kurai who had her claws wrapped around my neck against the wall to the man who was walking to my unconscious parents. "Erase, their memories, they won't ever need to know the truth anyways" Kurai said. As the man stood by my parents, my eyes focused back to Kurai her eyes filled with evil. "Sister, the darkness truly has consumed you, with it your soul" I told her blatantly. "As you remain an innocent angel, Ha!" Kurai smirked. "I shall twist your fate by your own hand" I Gasped! I finally awoke from the nightmare to grim reality, realising my own dagger lodged in my thigh was the only thing that brought me back to life. Pain. As blood ran down my leg, i got up from where i must have fallen, and slowly staggered to the hallways that would lead me to my dormitory. How was i still even outside, i must have been out for ages for this to even occur. I saw a night class student walking along the path and then instantly turning his head toward mine as if he could smell the blood on me. There was that weird feeling again, i needed to walk faster, every bone in my body ached telling me to move right away. And so i did.

Zero. As i slowly braced myself up the stairs, through one of the large vertical windows encased with bars i saw him through one of the large squares. Why was he outside? That's right, he was part of the disciplinary committee along with Yuki. And then he saw me. I have no idea how he even noticed me, just a face inside a million shapes but then i thought of all the possibilities. I thought of the tablet i found earlier in the grass and the hunter's mark, it would've all made sense but i would not allow myself to believe such a fate to be bestowed upon him. Or maybe i just did not want to believe the idea of it. He notice my bleeding leg and the pressure of my hand pressed against it. I closed my eyes, swallowed and heaved a deep breath. I opened my eyes again, determined to make it up the second set of stairs. As i steadied myself i placed one of hands against the window leaving a blood stained mark upon the glass, and then began to walk again. Zero was gone yet again. 

I stumbled towards my room, in a slow hurry and as i turned the doorknob, fatigue instantly hit me. I didn't have time to even reach my bed, my vision became blurred, my steps even slower, I closed my eyes and hit the wooden floor with a crash. Darkness found me.

When i awoke it was morning, sunlight shone against my face and my head hurt like crazy. I remembered walking to my dorm but that was it. Why was i laying on my bed and how was my leg bandaged? As questions flooded me i walked silently to class to keep my mind off things, surprisingly my leg didn't ache as much as i thought it would. When i saw Zero in the hallway before the door with Yuki, i greeted them kindly and got the expected response. "Good morning Scarlett, how did you sleep?" Yuki asked doubly as bubbly today as ever. My head pounded. "Yeah, surprisingly well actually" i replied. "How is your leg?" Zero asked cautiously. Me and Yuki both gave him a dumbfounded look at the complete same time as each other and then my slow mind finally comprehended what he said. It must have been him. He was the only one i saw yesterday other than the tall, beautiful night class student i had spotted a moment earlier. "Oh fine, I shouldn't be climbing trees at this age still" i said. lets face it, i was a terrible liar. "luckily you were there to help me" i said hoping he would react in some way. Yet he just stared at me with an uneasy look. "Never mind about that" he said. "Yuki, we better get to work soon". And then we left.

As the gates opened, the first thing i noticed was the main protagonist ahead of the other students. It was as if he was the main attraction and the others just surrounded him to fill the needed space. It was the boy i had seen yesterday when my leg bled. "Good morning Yuki" he said. "Uh Lord Kaname, good morning" Yuki said nervously. As i stood by Zero, we watched the two, 3 metres directly ahead of us make small talk. "Kaname Kuran" Zero muttered full of rage. Kaname Kuran, so that was who i saw yesterday. Kaname turned around slowly and asked "How did you sleep, Zero" with a sarcastic smile. Rage pitted inside Zero, i had to do something. I leaned towards Zero and held my hand over his close fists. He glared at me and then Kaname and him both walked away into the opposite directions of each other. I then realised, whatever i was feeling, Kaname knew to. All too well.