Bittersweet Memories

So. I have to apologize profusely. For several things, of course, but still. I said I'd update in two weeks. Well, obviously that was a lie. I got a job. Then my school life started again. Any free days I have are spent sleeping or with friends. I can't remember the last time I had the day off and I enjoyed it alone. I only have time to write in bed late at night when I'm falling asleep. I've also had some writer's block. I've realized that I'm not allowed to map out the future chapters. If I do, I lose all motivation to keep working on the present chapter. In lieu of that.... I have created a very weird chapter full of time lapses. This chapter proceeds over a few months. It was the best I could do. Also, this chapter contains EXPLICIT CONTENT. So if that offends you, suck it up and skip it, because this chapter is essential for understanding the future plot line. Love ya. The next chapter will be way better because of the loveliness of the version of Lovi. Tata for now.

Feliciano was whining, crying, pleading with a very angry and distraught Grandpa Roma while Lovino laid and listened, pretending to be asleep. His little brother drove a hard case on why Lovino shouldn't be pulled out of school. Grandpa drove an even harder one.

"He's been attacked, Feli!" Grandpa roared, his voice in a hushed whisper.

"But, Grandpa! How is he supposed to learn if he's pulled out? You work all day!" Feliciano cried, his voice hysterical yet quiet.

"I can hire a tutor," Roma stated in a matter of fact tone.

Lovino could hear the Feli's intake of breath. He was holding something back and Lovino knew it just from the pause in his words.

"Feli... what aren't you telling me?"

Lovino opened his eyes fractionally to see Feliciano shaking his head rapidly.

"Feli, by God, tell me or so help me I will..."

"You will what?" Feliciano snapped, a sudden ferocity in his voice. Lovino was shocked, but he remained expressionless. He pretended to sleep. "You'll pull me out of school, too? It's because he's gay, Grandpa, that they hurt him."

"Why are you making such rash accusations, Feliciano? I never thought I'd hear something like that from you. Your brother isn't gay," Roma said, his tone laced with disappointment.

Grandpa didn't know. He didn't understand.

"Grandpa, you haven't seen him with Antonio like I have," Feliciano pleaded, his voice panicked. He then slapped a hand over his mouth. Lovino heard him suck in a breath. "Grandpa, we're both like that... we're both gay."

Roma opened his mouth to speak, but a lilting Spanish voice cut him off.

"Feliciano is right, Sir. They went after him because he's gay..." he whispered, his voice pained and full of sorrow. Lovino opened his eyes fractionally to catch Antonio's gaze, but the Spaniard was facing Grandpa. "My biggest regret was that I wasn't there to stop it, that for the second time I couldn't protect him from myself and the burdens I put on him..."

At this, Lovino's eyes flew open. He sat upright quickly, ready to shout his obscenities, ready to curse Antonio for any of the dumb shit that was spewing from his lips.

"You fuck!" Lovino roared. Or, well, he would have liked to roar. His breath came out shallow and pained. He was sure at this point he had cracked quite a few ribs, at least three. "You're not blaming this shit on yourself. Someone should be sending for Sheriff Beilschmidt, not standing around here, watching me sleep like creeps, you bastards!" Every face was turned towards Lovino, expressions surprised and shocked. Of course. They hadn't known he was listening, fully aware of their conversation. With a groan of frustration, Lovino swiftly tacked on, "Yes, I'm gay, Grandpa. I swear, I thought you knew after that Christmas party..."