The Tomato Bastard

High school was much harder than Lovino had thought with his younger brother, Feliciano, clinging to him. It wasn't surprising how people were head over heels for his cuter, little brother by the time lunch came around, but Feli's constant clinging made people actually notice him, too. He had worked hard to remain the smart, unnoticed kid that sat in the back of every class. In just one day, however, the previous year's hard work had gone down the drain. The only questions he had gotten from his peers were those that pertained to his brother. Lovino had tried his hardest not to crack, not to curse at someone, anyone who asked about Feli. For now it had worked, but at the beyond frustrated Italian reached the lunchroom, he found it increasingly difficult to shut out the bantering behind him.

"Lovino! High school is so fun! Everyone is so nice! The teachers are nice and so are my new friends! None of them are bullies! I would hate to have a friend that's a bully because if we fight, they could beat me up, and if they beat me up, I would be hurt! I don't want to be hurt! If I'm hurt, I can't enjoy my pasta because I'll think too much about the pain. I don't want to be without my pasta or I'll be sad. And Grandpa Roma knows when I'm sad, so he'll go beat up the person who made me sad. Lovino! Please don't let Grandpa Roma beat up my friend!"

Lovino shook his head as he passed under the arch leading into the loud, food filled cafeteria. Feliciano's spiels were often pointless and irrelevant, but all he could do about his brother's nonsense was to grin and bear through it. He decided to seclude himself in the back of the lunchroom. The freshman just padded on behind him.

Just as Lovino and Feli were sitting down, a Spaniard approached the duo. Feli let out a squeal of delight and to his brother's dismay, invited him to join them. It was fine at first. Lovino could manage, but soon things got strange. The bastard hadn't stopped smiling, hadn't stopped staring. What was his problem? How could this Spaniard be so happy when they were sitting in this hellhole Grandpa Roma called school? Lovino's only conclusion... this kid was crazy. And why did Feli have to invite him? Could this bastard tell that Lovino didn't enjoy his company or his presence?

The Spaniard had introduced himself to Lovino as Antonio Fernandez Carreido, a senior, like he cared. He had intended on remaining anonymous for as long as he could, but those plans went right down the drain with the others. Feli just had to open his mouth yet again.

"I met you earlier Antonio Fernandez Carreido! You have such a funny name!" Lovino quickly cuffed his brother over the head. The boy quickly looked down at his pasta. The sadness didn't last as long as Lovino had hoped it would, however. "Oh! You know me! I'm Feliciano Vargas, but everyone calls me Feli. You can pick! Oh! This is my brother Lovino. Grandpa calls him Lovi, but Lovino says I'm not allowed to which isn't that fair. He may seem all tough and mean and scary looking, but he's nice when you get to know him and you don't give him any wine. He'll curse at you in Italian if you do. But other times he'll dance and sing with pretty girls and play guitar!" Lovino's cheeks burned at his brother's words, but Feliciano pressed on. Antonio only laughed. "Oh! Some people think we looked like twins, but it's easy to tell us apart. Lovino is taller and has darker eyes. He looks more like Grandpa and I look more like Mamma. And he's a year older than me. He's a sophomore and I'm a freshman! Oh! Antonio! You don't have a lunch! Take this tomato! I picked it this morning!"
The Spaniard graciously took the fruit from Feli and exclaimed, "Gracias a mi amigo! Oh, Lovino you've been here longer than I have and I don't know my way around here well. Do you mind showing me around?"

Antonio's question threw Lovino off guard. How long had he been at the school? Why did he have to ask him? "Whatever..." Lovino responded heavily. Antonio laughed again, causing Lovino to blush for the second time. What was is it about this Spaniard that set Lovino so ill at ease. "Shut up..."