Tainted Time

Dedication: To all the victims of the horrifying events that occurred during the past few days. #PrayForTheWorld

IMPORTANT: There's a bit of a time lapse here. I had to do this, because I couldn't really think of a way to move on with the story after the previous chapter, which was discouraging me from continuing with it. However, I don't think it's too difficult to follow (please tell me it isn't? xD ).  

Chapter Twenty Five: Tainted Time

STATUS: Not Edited.

  "I freeze and burn, love is bitter and sweet, my sighs are tempests and my tears are floods, I am in ecstasy and agony, I am possessed by memories of her and I am in exile from myself."
― Francesco Petrarca, Canzoniere: Selected Poems

"Ray, how long have I been here for?'' I asked as I lay on my back and squinted at the sky of the fire domain, which always looked like it was bleeding the tones of the sunset.

"A month!'' Ray responded excitedly.

"And you are yet to name your dragon!'' Shimmer reminded me, and my gaze fell onto the snoozing, blazing reptile curled at my side. It had burned a circle through the strangely soft igneous rock ground beneath us. The landscape in the fire domain was mostly volcanoes and igneous rock flooring. Sometimes, you could even see the lave boiling and softening the ground. There were no rivers, but only lava streams that gurgled and bubbled almost everywhere. Strange  soot colored plants with beautiful, yet burning fragrances grew almost everywhere. 

I had only been out of the grand, fire castle only a handful times and had already seen several creatures that were only supposed to belong to folklore and myths. 

The Gothic castle was composed completely of dark fire, and seemed to float on a mound of igneous rock. I never thought fire could be black, before I saw the castle. Now I knew that flames could adopt shades of multiple tones due to the differing hues that composed of different portions of the interior of the castle.

The fire realm was dark, beautiful, dangerous and I absolutely loved it.

I found out that no one except the fire folk, and other fire creatures could survive for too long in the realm. The flames of the place would consume them. Only with the security, and invitation of the fire folk could any non-fire creature enter or exist the realm. And invitations were analyzed by the fire council before they were agreed too.

My dragon had grown bigger, fiercer and beautiful in the time that I had been in the realm. I was no longer scared of the beast that I was told, was only a part of me. 

But I hadn't named it yet.

"You should name it Skipper! Or Fang! Oh, oh! Or Fluffykins, or-"

"I am a dragon, not a dog, Shimmerium,'' the dragon hissed at Shimmer, while its eyes were still close, "And I am not fluffy.''

"You feel a bit fluffy-"

"GET YOUR DISGUSTING HAND OFF OF ME, YOU FIEND. WAIT TILL I GROW UP, I'LL BURN YOU SO BAD, THAT FANCY HAIRSTYLE OF YOURS WILL TURN INTO A BALDING HAIRLINE.''

I chuckled and stroked the head of the dragon as I continued to hear their banter. It was strange how incomplete I felt without the presence of the dragon. 

"Era!'' I straightened as I heard the call and turn to look at Lizadorah, who was racing towards the lava river I was laying next to. 

"Hello, Lizadorah,'' I smiled and scooted away from the blazing flowers at my side, so she could dip her feet in the lava river, with me. I had grown quite close to the fire woman over the past month. She had helped me get over my sorrow about leaving behind my past life, and my best friend, Andrea.