Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Splattered

Mom was hesitant of letting me start kindergarten in the fall. She thought I should wait another year before going to school. As always Dad disagreed with her. After debating on it all summer Mom finally caved and agreed to let me start school in the fall with Nick and James. 

I couldn't have been more excited. Nick told me not to be scared, and I wasn't. I was gonna be a big kid and go to school, without issue. I knew Mom would keep me home if I was scared so I stomached the butterflies and swallowed my fear. 

I was finally going to get a backpack and fill it with supplies like Nick had. I would get to ride the yellow bus with my brother to school, and I would learn to read.  I already knew my alphabet, Nick had taught me. I knew all the colors and I knew how to count to fifteen. Dad was teaching me to tie my shoes and Mom was taking me to the park every day. I was starting to be treated like a normal kid.

My parents spent the entire summer prepping me to start school. I started seeing that man even more and Mom was starting to get less worried it looked like. I thought maybe I was getting better, but I wasn't... little did I know things were about to get a whole lot worse.

"You boys ready?" Mom hollered up the stairs. Nick and I were just finishing getting dressed and rushed down the stairs.

Looking up at my mom when I hit the bottom step I smiled at her. I could tell that she was a little tense but her worries were only just beginning. "Where are we going Momma?"

"We're gonna go to down to the school and find out who your teachers will be and then we'll go get lunch." Her smile was all to fake as she moved me towards the door.

Nick and Mom talked the entire way to the school but I was more focused on the trees. I always loved the trees outside that we would pass in the spring time. When we got to the front doors of the school Mom began running her finger down the class lists looking for our names. 

"Nick you're in Mrs. Webster's class, and Kayten is in Mrs. Tomas's class. Who is Mrs. Tomas?" Mom asked looking down at Nick.

"The new kindergarten teacher." A different woman answered behind her. Mom thanked her and rushed us back to the car to call Dad. 

"I don't think this is a good idea Kaden," she started as we drove away from the school. 

I must admit I was excited, I mean there was a huge playground and I got to peek through the windows in some rooms that looked really fun. I just wanted to go to school like a normal kid, and Mom wasn't too sold on the idea. 

I never realized how much I loved my mother until I lost her, or until I thought she was gone; and I don't think she realized how much she loved me until she found out what was wrong with me. 

After yet another week of persuasion Dad convinced Mom it would be easier for all of us if I started school with the rest of the kids my age. I was more excited than scared. Dad told me Evelyn and Cashmere would stay home while I went to school and that I had nothing to be afraid of. I wasn't worried though, I wanted to make friends and go to school, no matter what Mom said. 

It was the night before school started. Mom was a mess, and I couldn't sleep. Nick and I talked all night, and finally after waiting, and waiting all night the sun finally rose up in the sky. 

Mom didn't wake us up this morning, Dad did. He got us dressed and Mom made breakfast. She wasn't dressed nor was her makeup ready when we met her in the kitchen, this in its self was odd. 

Evelyn was stretching her paws on my feet as I ate my breakfast. Cashmere jumped up on the counter and stole my eggs off my plate. Glaring at him in disgust I hit him on the top of the head with my fork. "Kayten, just eat please." Mom snapped.

"Cashmere stole my eggs!" I barked back at her. Dad took me up in his arms and out of the kitchen before Mom could say anything else. Mom talked quietly with Nick while Dad and I were talking in the living room. 

When it was time to go Nick swung his backpack over his shoulder handing me mine, "We're gonna ride the bus today." He said with a nod to Dad and then me. I just took my backpack and followed him out the door.

I remember this part so vividly, I'm scared it will never leave my mind. 

I walked down the sidewalk with Nick, he was holding my hand which he didn't do often. The morning air was crisp and a little humid. The sun was shining brightly in my eyes, "Will James be on the bus?" I asked Nick as we approached the corner bus stop.

He didn't answer, only nodded. I could tell he was slightly nervous but I had no idea what for. When the big yellow bus pulled up I found it harder to breathe. The scent of rubber and dirt filled my nostrils as I climbed the huge steps onto the bus. 

The lady in the driver’s seat was older, she had a tender smile and tired eyes. Her name was Sammy.

The front half of the bus was full of kids. I didn't think we would find a seat but holding tightly to Nick's backpack we walked to the back of the bus and found an empty seat. I sat by the window and Nick was to my right. 

As we passed my house I saw Mom and Dad standing out by the sidewalk, as we got closer towards them the farther into the street they got. 

They needed to back up or the bus would surely hit them, but I couldn't figure out how to open the window in time to warn them. In a frantic mess I stumbled over Nick falling on my face in the walkway slicing my hand on the bench seat. 

I didn't hear what anyone was saying I just had to save my mom and dad. Looking up through the crowd I watched as the front of the bus crushed my parents into the asphalt. Everything went silent, like time froze. I watched my parents die right in front of me, I heard my mother’s scream and dad waving goodbye. 

I watched my parents die.

Running to the back of the bus looking out the emergency exit I saw them splattered all over the road. 

Everything was loud now, louder than it was before, and much more intense. I didn't know what to do or what to think. So I just screamed. 

At the top of my lungs I screamed "Mom" quickly following it with a "Dad"

Nick was trying to pull me back to our seat but I refused to budge. I couldn't focus on what he was saying, I just wanted off of this bus. 

Everything after that is much more of a blur.

I've never felt so empty.

And after this, Mom would never let me leave the house again.

I had ruined my chances at a normal life. 

My schizophrenia was only just beginning to take over my life.