Chapter Three

Author's Note: The world is pronounced (Se-tain-ee-a)

Cover in the side made by 

beautifulcollisions

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Three

A Wonderful Escape

Mom and Dad would argue about me often. It was always quietly to themselves, after we were away and tucked in bed. Nothing would be screamed or slammed, they would just get in disagreements on how to raise me. I could only hear their words sometimes, most the time whatever was lurking around in my room would drowned them out.

I didn't want to be trouble for them, they were such good parents. They really did try to make me and Nick happy. Dad was my hero, my best friend, he was just like me. I just didn't understand that yet.

One night he took me in his arms, cradling me rocking back and forth soothingly. "Kayten and I are going to go to a movie tomorrow, just the two of us. He needs to get out and do something before he starts to grow to the floor." He told my mom as he carried me up the stairs.

She began in protest only to be ignored as Dad continued up the stairs. Wrapping my blankets around me he delicately placed a kiss to my left temple. "Goodnight boys," he crooned taking a step backwards into the hallway.

I could hear the conversation between him and Mom in long murmurs, but tonight I wasn't interested in what she had to say today. Over the soft voices of my parents I could hear one boy sniffling above me. It was rare that Nick would cry, he was always so strong. He liked to be tough, and show people that he didn't ever cry. But there were acceptations to this, like this night.

I'll never forget it. It's how it all started, the start of something horrible. This night was the trigger to a bad experience, just lurking in the shadows of the future. Waiting patiently to attack our family and ruin Nick’s sanity.

Peering my curious little eyes over the railing of the top bunk I gazed back at him in silence. "What do you want?" He barked wiping the tears from his face in a frustrated rage.

"What's wrong?" I asked crawling closer towards the sorrowful mess. He was trying his hardest to remain tough, putting on an act of anger towards me. He was embarrassed I had caught him crying, only I didn’t care he was crying. I knew how tough my brother was, he showed me every day. He was always protecting me and had my back no matter what. I knew he was tough, even if he did shed a few tears.

He remained muted for a long time, but something had spooked him. It wasn’t like Nick to show his fear, and that’s why he wouldn’t answer me.

I tried thinking of what Mom would do to make him feel better, so I pulled him into a hug; that wasn't as smooth as someone would've hoped it to be.

"Kayten have you ever been scared of someone? Someone you just met, but for some reason they still scare you?"

I just shook my head backing out of the embrace. I wanted to, but couldn't relate to the pain he was feeling. I never got to leave the house, let alone meet someone. "Are you scared of someone?" I asked leaning in closer to him. I wanted to know more, Nick got to go outside, he played baseball and he had friends. I wanted to know what it was like out there where he would go. The people he met, I was curious as to what would be scarier than what was in this house.

Flashing me only a glimpse of his blue eyes he was quick to look down shaking his head. "I'm not scared of anything, remember?"

I nodded faintly and yawned. "You're sure?"