Chapter Two

Authors Note: Cover in the side made by the amazing bibliophilefreak  If you like this you will love her poems "My Monsters and I" they are just beautiful!

                                            ----------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Two

Locked Up

"Kayten, Kayten, Kayten." Nick chanted tugging at my feet. "Mom's making breakfast again." He sang pulling on my arms now.  I sprang out of bed and ran for the kitchen. 

Arms pumping and fuzzy dog in hand I struggled once again to get on the stool sitting waiting for my French toast.  "Momma," I asked as she placed the white square plate in front of me. "When is Nick’s school starting?" 

I watched as my brothers stomach twisted with my words along with his face. His appetite must have been robbed by anxiety because he pushed his plate away resting his chin in his palm he exhaled deeply. 

"Nick will be starting school tomorrow morning." She nodded sending him a soft smile trying to ease his stress. 

"I don't really want to go to school Mom," Nick mumbled into his hand. "I wanna stay here with you and Kayten."

"Nick, you know you have to go to school. That's all there is to it." She responded with a small sigh.

I didn't want Nick to go to school either, when he left I didn't have anyone to play with. Mom was working and Dad was too.

Then I was alone.

Then everything got stronger.

This was before Mom knew what was wrong with me, and this was when I would leave your reality, and enter mine.

 When Nick woke up to go to school the next day I think it was harder on me then it was him. 

"Mom, I don't wanna go," He whined again shaking his head. 

He had been going on about this all morning. Mom had him dressed in his outfit he picked out yesterday and his new backpack was loaded and on his shoulders. "Nick you're going to be fine. I promise, it'll be just like last year," She was busy straighten his t-shirt and fidgeting with his hair while she prepped him for his first day. "And James is in your class again this year, honey you're going to be okay."

Nick looked down at her in defeat and then followed her with his eyes as she stood up to kiss my dad. 

He greeted us with a cheerful smile as Mom began working at his appearance as well. This was a habit she had picked up from somewhere, and she was famous for it.  Dad glanced back at us with a smirk this time and then crouched to our height. "Nervous?" He asked Nick.

"Nope, not at all." He grinned as Dad reached for his back pocket. 

Dad pulled out two crisp five dollar bills and held them up to the two of us. Eagerly I reached out to grab one when Nick stopped me. "What's the catch?" He questioned tilting his head. 

"No catch," was all he said with a sly smile. Just as I went to grab it again he jerked it away from my reach.  "Alright there is a catch." He smirked. "But it's a competition,"

"I love those!" Nick and I nodded leaning forward.

"Nick, you have to go to school and make one new friend," Nick continued nodding accepting his challenge. "And Kayten," Dad turned to me. "I want you to go down to the park, and make two new friends." 

Before I could say "Okay," Mom grabbed his shoulder pulling him to his feet. "No, that's not a good idea." She protested. 

"Echo he has to leave the house at some point. You can't just shelter him from the world." There was a long pause before dad grabbed his bag from the entry table. "It will only make it worse." 

With that he walked out the door and left mom in a tense mess. She puffed looking down at me and Nick. "Just go get in the car boys."

"No it's okay mom," Nick laughed jumping for the door. "I'm gonna ride the bus with James today. Bye mom!" He shouted before running out the door. Before she had a chance of stopping me I took off with him. 

We met James at the bus stop on the corner, "Hi James," I smiled as we came to a halt. The three of us talked about school and such while we waited for the bus; which I would have made it on if mom wouldn't have roped me in by the waist. 

Mom and I waved as Nick rode off to his first day of the first grade. "Let's go to park Mom," I chirped breathlessly. "Let's go, let's go, let's go,"

She shook her head down at me and took my hand in hers. "We're going home Kayten, not the park."

I still don't know why Mom never would let me go to park, but she wouldn't ever let me go anywhere. I got to leave the house if Dad wasn't home, when he was home she would make me stay with him. 

Mom hated taking me in public, Dad would try to reason with her but she rarely budged. "He's not ready," "He won't react well," "He'll be a threat," "It's been a bad day," Her excuses never ended. 

"But mom," I cried tugging at her shirt. "I have to go to the park, I have to meet two friends." 

But she wasn't convinced. I could tell I had made her mad by the look in her eyes when she said no again. 

So this time I listened to her and just kept my eyes on the ground. 

I still don't know wy she said no.

But by the age of twelve, I would find out. 

The world isn't as warm and comforting as it appears to be sometimes.