Chapter One

Chapter One

The Beginning of the End

Gripping my fingers tightly around the slim blue frame of my lighter I laid my head back against the concrete wall behind me. My expression was blank and my eyes glossy, I wasn't sure how much longer I would make it like this. 

My mom was worried sick about me, I knew that much already. I had thrown my phone off the bridge though; or I would call her to ease the scare. 

Dad knew I would come down to this point, he knew I would hit the bottom without the strength to climb back up. I was just waiting there for him to show up and save me from this mental state. He had always been good with predicting my next move, making sure I wasn't able to go through with suicide.  Only I was determined this time, and nothing would get in the way of my goal.

But this is not how my story begins, for this how it ends.  So allow me to catch you up on the past.

I knew I was odd ever since I was born, but no one started to take notice until I was five years old. 

 Mom always treated me like her favorite and made sure I was always happy. She knew I was different, she could tell from when I was little too. 

When I would have panic attacks or when my imagination would get to be too much for me she would hold me close and sing to me. Her low, soothing voice always seemed to ease my stresses and bring be back to my sense. 

"Shhhh," she whispered so softly as I clung to her.

The dogs were trying to get us. I remember, there were big, rabid dogs, everywhere. They wanted to eat us for some reason, and I was terrified. Of course, my mother couldn't see the dogs that were threatening to take my life, but they were all so real to me.

"Mom!" I screamed hiding deeper in her chest. "They're coming!"

Her delicate touch ran up and down my back as she began to sing again. I never knew the titles of the songs she would sing, and I don't remember the words today, but she made them sound so beautiful and so pure. My small frame began swaying from back and forth with her whilst she slayed every one of the dogs with her songs. 

I had no choice but to surrender to the melody myself and close my eyes drifting into a dark haze. I was awoken by the sound of my parents talking in the kitchen. At my young age their words didn't make much sense to me, but looking back on them now, they're so crystal clear. 

"Kaden I can't imagine what that boy see's," Mom started. It was dark throughout the entire house, Nick was already tucked in and bathed. Mom must have wanted me to sleep since she didn't bother waking me for dinner.

"I can..." My father’s deep hesitant answer slowly crept around the corner. 

My mom let out a very slight gasp of shock with his words and then answered sharply. "Kaden don't you say that. He can't be... Not at this age... It's impossible." 

Their words frightened me but I remained calm with my eyes closed so it would appear that I was still sleeping. Mom and dad made their way into the living room flicking on the lamp illuminating the room with a dim glow. "It could be all my fault, he could be just like me Echo it's possible." Dad said before sitting next to me causing the couch to sink in.

I couldn't resist sitting up and crawling into his arms. I hadn't seen my dad in a few days, he was visiting grandma who was in the hospital and I had missed him dearly.  Sitting in his strong embrace I shut my eyes again letting him rock me in his arms.

"To think I poisoned an innocent child like this..." Dad whispered as his breath thickened. 

"Don't say that Kaden," Mom snapped back, with those parting words she stormed back into the kitchen leaving me and dad alone.