Lovers Denied [Prologue]

Caylee Here :) So Khyla and I have started up a facebook page for all of our stories and we would love it if you guys, our fans, would go and like us and show us support. There is an external link on every chapter so just click on it and it'll lead you there. THANK YOU!

Prologue

4 years ago

Abrielle, get your mother and run. Get as far away from this place as possible! my father's commanded, his voice intruding my mind as my eyes roved over the scene before me. I couldn't believe what was happening  or why. Mentally, my father was in my head, but physically, he was fiercely protecting his pack and I had a strong urge to do the same. But I couldn't disobey his command. An Alpha's command is law. 

Who is attacking us? I asked as several male pack members ran past me to join my father. I was left without an answer as my father left me alone with my own thoughts. It took every ounce of my being to flee the scene, but I turned away and pushed my legs to get to the pack house as fast as I could. 

When I got there, the female members of the pack were crowded in the house, consoling their frightened children as they themselves were filled with worry. 

Technically, I was now the highest ranking member of the pack, so it was my job to comfort my pack in times of distress. 

I could feel the alpha blood flow through my veins and when I channeled it, it was like flipping a switch from being a follower to being a leader. My spine straightened and shoulders squared as I mustered the confidence and courage that all alphas embodied. It hurt me to see my pack so distressed over their leader and their loved ones. I was worried as well, but they needed me to be strong. 

In  the midst of the crowded home, I made eye contact with my mother to see that she was doing the same thing. I could see the fear in her eyes but as the alpha's mate, she held certain responsibilities to her pack. The safety of our pack fell on our shoulders now. We couldn't show any weakness. 

I ran out of the house, stripping naked as my spine tingled and collapsed and I held in the scream bubbling in my throat. I fell to the floor as my body continued to shift and stretch until my mouth was replaced with a snout and my feet and hands transformed to paws. The spirit of my wolf was anxious to run away and join my father in his fight, but my focus was on those that were left behind. Through my wolf's eyes, I could see every particle of dust in the house, I could hear the panicked heartbeats of the women and children, feel the Alpha blood rushing through my veins as I ran back into the pack house and let out a strong, authoritative bark to silence the room. 

Everyone's eyes fell upon me and I felt the wave of serenity wash over them. My prescence calmed them in the way my father's did whenever the pack's emotions ran high. But the young boys in the room could feel how emergent the situation was, and I could feel that they were angry. They wanted to help protect their families, but they weren't old enough or strong enough to. 

I closed my eyes, and connected my mind with everyone. 

As you know, our male counterparts and significant others are in danger. It would do them no good in their fight to know that we were still in the face of danger. We have to leave, now. Our men will find us after the threat has been taken care of.

"I don't think we should leave! We'll only end up facing our deaths!" said one voice from the crowd. My head snapped up to the sound and my connection broke. Before I had the chance to act, my mother stepped in. 

"You dare go against your Alpha's command, Rose? You forget, that in the absence of our Alpha and Beta, my daughter is the next in command. I suggest you show some respect and--"

"I don't mean any disrespect, but she's still but a pup!" 

Without thinking, I leapt in front of the girl and glared at her as I growled, baring my teeth as I did so. 

You will not interrupt or disrespect your Alpha's mate! 

The girl, Rose, fell silent and apologized to my mother. Everyone's attention was once again on me. 

They've already attacked a nearby pack so we have to find protection from The Elders. We will be getting there on foot which means that everyone needs to shift. Ma, I'll take the lead and I need you and a few others to take the flank and make sure our tracks are covered. Everyone should be surrounding the pups and acting as the first line of defense. I want this place completely cleared out in no more than five minutes, do you understand? 

Head nods and murmers of agreements filled the room and everyone set to the task of gathering emergency backpacks and shifting to their wolf forms. It only took a few minutes before everyone was ready and I gave them a bark to let them know to follow me. 

Goddess Nyx, please watch over my father and the rest of my pack in their battle. I pray that they are triumphant and battle and are able to--

My prayer was cut short when a howl of pain cut through the dark night. 

Daddy!

I leapt off of the porch of the pack house and ran through the heavily wooded area, dodging trees and branches as I pushed myself to get to my father. 

I didn't stop until I reached a large clearing of men, I looked around to see some who were fully shifted, and some who were not. There were a few who were so badly injured that their bodies couldn't even complete the transformation as they lie on the ground as half men, half wolf. I searched their faces but they all looked at me with a look of sorrow. 

A stack of bodies lied at the far end of the clearing and I ran to it to see that every single man in the pile was a stranger to me. They were apart of the group that attacked us. But I didn't see my father's face. 

Leaning back on my hind feet, I lifted my head up and unleashed a powerful howl, expressing my hurt and anger. Without the words being said, I knew that my father was dead. And if he wasn't, then he would be.