Chapter 22

"Congrats," he replied half-heartedly.

"David..."

He pulled away from me and headed back to the bedroom. I heard the shower running and my heart sank. I sighed. I couldn't blame him. He was finding out everything in the worst ways possible. This was so complicated and I felt so conflicted. I didn't know how to act or what to do around him anymore. I was fucked.

"Ella! I'm gonna use your bathroom, ok?" I called to her.

"Yes mama," she replied.

I rolled my eyes as I walked to her bathroom. I knew she hadn't been listening to a word I said. I smiled but I knew I needed to get away from the house or else my smile wouldn't last. Scratch that, I needed to get away from David to actually be able to breathe. Shit! I felt like I did seven years ago! I stepped into her shower and turned on the water. Pretty soon the glass had misted up as I wasted the boiling water as it harshly burned out the imperfections. If only it did the same for the heart. It was as I was washing my hair that I decided to go into work for the day. I didn't really need to work. I had brought the publishers that had published my books when it was running out of funding. I pumped in cash and it stayed afloat and was now a successful publishers. Dares Publishing. The motto was really stupid but I loved it anyway. It was Dare to right. We Dare to publish. I stepped out the shower and wrapped my hair in a towel. It was no longer purple as I decided to ditch my teen years when Ella was born. In a way I was glad.

I wandered into my bedroom and let my towel fall to the floor. I pulled on matching blue lacy underwear just as David walked into the bed room. I gasped as he saw me in my underwear. I had forgot he was in the shower. He stared at my body in awe and I could see his semi through his towel. I turned back to my wardrobe.

"Sorry. I forgot you were showering," I said.

He cleared his throat, "No I'm sorry. I didn't realise this was your bedroom." He paused, "Where did you sleep last night if I was in here?"

"In here," I replied as I pulled on pencil grey shirt.

"Your husband wouldn't like that," he remarked before sitting on the unmade bed.

"Yes well he's not here," I said zipping in my wine red skirt I had pulled on, "You can wear some of Leo's stuff if you want."

"Leo?"

"Leo Jenkins," I replied, "My husband."

"Leo Jenkins as in the Leo Jenkins renowned for Motorbike racing?" David asked astonished.

I sat at the table and nodded. I began to blow dried my hair with David just staring at me. I felt his eyes on me and my body heated. He took the hair-dryer from me and blowdried my hair. I let out a moan as he ran his fingers through my wet locks to expose them to the heat. I arched my back further into his chest as he did so. I wasn't aware my breasts were on show until I felt his erection stabbing into my back.

I coughed, "Thank you."

I stood up and tied my hair into a ponytail before picking up my bag. I walked out the bedroom and kissed Ella on the cheek. She didn't notice. I smiled. David followed me, still in only a towel.

"Alex..."

"I'll be back later," I interrupted, "I'm just off to check on things as the office."

"But you're an author," he stated.

"And the head of a publishing agency," I replied.

Before he could reply, or worse, I fall into bed with him, I left the penthouse. I couldn't drop everything for him again. It had been too long. But even so, if he asked for it I would bend over backwards for that man. I rummaged in my bag until I found my most precious possession. I slid on the sapphire ring.