Chapter 9

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED©

"Are you ready to order?" The waitress directed her question to me of course, not that I could blame her anyone could clearly see that Hayden wasn't your average boy next door. Maybe he was your average inmate next door but definitely not the guy who would wait patiently for his girlfriend to finish shopping.

Girlfriend

The word sent strange shivers down my spine and an overcoming wave of sadness filled me to my very core. Confused by my body's reaction to a simple word, I sipped some of my water to clear my head and ordered the first thing on the menu. After Hayden ordered our waitress-Sally collected our menus and skated away. My appetite was gone along with my wolf, for some reason she didn't want to be here. I had also noticed that she was unusually quiet.

She didn't say anything when my hand accidentally brushed Hayden's when we were walking to the table. I could see that the slight touch had affected Hayden; he immediately stiffened and pulled his hand away as if he'd been shocked. I wondered if he felt hot sparks erupt where our skin met. I certainly felt it; I could still remember how it felt now.

Hayden oblivious to my thoughts was on his phone staring at the screen. I sighed and my eyes landed on a couple laughing at a table across the old fashioned restaurant we were in. The place was designed like a 1950's diner; it was fun to watch the waitresses’ roller skate around the tables delivering food to tables.

A waitress with bright red hair delivered a milkshake to the table with the happy couple. She quickly skated away to a different table after dropping it off. Like a scene in a romantic movie the two shared the delicious ice cold drink.

Feeling like I was intruding on an intimate moment I turned away and sipped more of my water. Sally returned with a glass of pink lemonade in her hand, she handed it to me and smiled uneasily, her gaze flickered to Hayden for a moment before returning it to me.

"This is from the man in the black shirt sitting a few tables away." She quickly skated away before I could thank her.

After she left I looked at Hayden to see his reaction to the free drink. His gaze was transfixed on the drink in front of me. He looked extremely calm almost apathetic as he watched the lemonade. For a second I thought I saw something change in his expression.

For a second Hayden looked angry enough to commit murder.

"I'm going to the bathroom." Hayden's clipped tone interrupted my thoughts and he left without another word. I watched him go wondering if he wanted to get away from me. After he was out of my sight I felt uncomfortable. His absence made me feel like easy prey.

Tearing my eyes away from the hallway Hayden disappeared into I turned to face his empty seat and his cellphone. Remembering how busy he was on his phone I wasn’t surprised when I heard it vibrate.

What is he doing on his phone that’s so important anyways?

Why don’t you find out?

No that’s wrong and if Hayden finds out he’ll blow his gasket

No we are his mate so we have a right to know

He’ll find out

Mates don’t keep secrets from each other

He’s not my mate

Yes he is

Mates don’t abandon each other

Nobody’s perfect