chapter 5

"going somewhere?" I stopped and ran my fingers through my hair, "uhhh. yeah, I was just gonna- um you know-" Alli put up her finger and stopped me, "Cody, I know where youre going and I wont tell mum and dad" I breathed a sigh of relief, "thanks Alli, you had me worried there for a moment"

"but, theres just one condition." she said as she walked towards me. I rolled my eyes, "what is it?" "hmm." she started, "I get to come with you. and...you have to do my washings for one month!" "thats two conditions!" I began walking towards the door and she followed me, with her arms crossed, threatening to tell our parents, "okay fine! you can come and Ill do your stupid laundry" she smiled, obviously satisfied and we made our way down to the bus stop.

When we got to the hospital, I pulled Alli confidenty past the front desk and jumped into the elevator. I scanned through the room numbers until I found Amber's. I looked around confused. the hallway was completely empty including the chairs that had been occupied by her family. I went to find a nurse and Alli sat down outside of her room.

"excuse me ma'am?" the nurse looked up from her clipboard and smiled, "yes dear?" "what happened to Amber Reynold's visitors?" she frowned, "oh Im sorry,it was getting a little too crowded so we had to ask them to leave, but they should be back in the morning" "aww okay. well, is it okay if I visit her for a little?" she shrugged, "do you have anyone else here with you?" "just my little sister"

"then sure! why not?" "thanks" I returned to the room and motioned for Alli to come in with me. We sat down awkwardly, me at her bedside and Alli on the opposite side at the foot of the bed. We were both silent. my eyelids drooped but I stayed focused on Amber's freckled cheeks and lightly shut eyes. I prayed that they would open any minute now. I blinked repeatedly and rubbed my eyes with my fists, then looked over at Alli. she was sound asleep.

I gazed up at the clock with blurry vision; 1:43. ha. ironic. I scooted forward and laid my head on the side of her bed, my hair drooping over and brushing her arm. Ill just close my eyes for a . . .few. . .minutes.

8:14

shit. Im screwed. I jumped up and shook Alli rapidly, "Alli! Alli wake up! we have to get back!" her eyes opened wide and we ran out the door and down to the elevator. I shoved the 'first floor' button a few times and jumped up and down, waiting for the doors to open. A 'ding' came from above and I rushed out the doors, running straight into someone. I caught myself on their shoulders and apologized quickly, "oh Im so sor- Dani?!"

"Cody, what are you doing here?!" we hugged and she smiled excitedly. "I-Im so sorry, I really gotta go but Ill explain later. see you." I turned towards the front door, then stopped, "can I get your number?" I chuckled, "sure" she saved it in my phone and I smiled before grabbing Alli's arm and running out to the bus stop.

While on the bus, she asked me, "soo, who's Dani?" I blushed, "um, Amber's cousin" Alli raised her eyebrows, "do you like her?" I shrugged and looked out the window, "I dunno. I havent really known her for too long" the bus came to a stop and adrenaline rushed through me like crazy as we tried to make it back to hotel room. we made it back literally minutes before my mum came knocking on the door. we both sighed heavily.

I opened the door slowly and my mum began talking, "oh good, youre up! ..and youre already dressed? thats a first" I looked down and realized I was still wearing the clothes from the hospital, "oh..yeahh, just excited for today!" "good cause youre performing for a local radio station!" I smiled, this should take my mind off things for a while.

******

afterwards, Shawn told me we were going to the studio to record for the new album. on the way there, I remembered I had Dani's number and texted her quickly: