Episode 12: Some Answers part 1

Sam's phone chirped. The text was from Dean. Dude. I seriously don't buy into the go-green yoga crap, but how many freakin' books can there be in the world? It's enough to make me turn tree-hugger and say all books should be digital.

Sam chuckled and replied, It's not just humans' books. This library has all the books ever written in the entire universe.

I thought aliens were all greenie-save-the-planet types!

Apparently not.

Crap.

Sam laughed again and dropped the phone into his pocket.

They kept moving, winding their way as systematically as they could through the twisting aisles of the library. Sam flexed his grip on the pistol Dean had given him before they'd separated. He couldn't believe that the Doctor hadn't heard them calling. He just desperately hoped that the shifter hadn't slipped away from them somehow.

Sherlock suddenly held his hand up. Amy tiptoed up and poked her head around him, making Sherlock give her an annoyed glance. Sam glanced over their heads.

The Doctor stood at the far end of a study nook, standing on the back of an overstuffed chair with his ear to the wall of the TARDIS, fingers slowly turning a dial set into a panel on the wall.

Amy stood beside him, holding his legs to make sure he didn't fall.

"You have got to be kidding me," Amy muttered.

Sam's phone buzzed.

###

John hunched as he wound through the bookcases, gun held to the side with both hands in a firing grip, ready to aim and shoot. Behind him, he could hear Dean's slightly heavier footsteps. Occasionally Dean's phone buzzed, the sound seeming loud in the quiet, echoing space.

"Oh, for crying out loud," John muttered after the third time. "You're as bad as teenage girls. 'Here, oh wait, I need to take a picture of the dead monster I just hunted down and killed. YOLO LOL.'"

Dean gave him a confused look. "What?"

"YOLO. You Only Live Once. Wa...wait, why am I explaining this to you? You're worse than Sherlock."

Dean snorted. "Thanks a lot."

John rolled his eyes. He felt like he was doing that more than normal, between Sherlock and the Winchesters. To think that he was the knowledgable one on pop culture here. Mary would get a good laugh out of it.

He slid around into an aisle and stopped, nearly gagging. A pile of what Sherlock had referred to as the 'gelatinous substance' lay in the middle of the aisle. Some of it still sort of held to the shape of what it had been--an ear, a finger, a toe.

He looked away, taking slow deep breaths. "Ooooh, tha...that's disgusting."

"Ughhhhh. I hate shifters, man." Dean stepped around him and poked at the goop with his toes. "From the amount here, it looks like he shifted from Sam to someone smaller."

John laughed. "Oh, yeah, that narrows it down a lot."

Dean grinned. "I mean a lot smaller. As in, not me, and probably not Sherlock." The grin faded from his face. "Man, I really hope it isn't the Doc. Shifters gain the memories of people they shift to."

John's stomach knotted. "So conceivably, the shifter could fly the TARDIS."

Dean yanked his phone from his pocket. "Better let Sam know ASAP."

###

The shifter changed again. To someone quite a bit smaller than you.

Sherlock swore under his breath as he saw the text. Sam texted back no kidding. Amy.