Episode 10: Knowledge Is Power part 1

By the time Sam returned to the console room with a bag of rock salt, everyone had already drifted into the kitchen and living room area. He shook the salt out in a careful line along the bottom of the door, then for good measure made smaller lines along the window sills. He redid a couple of lines on the devils traps, then stepped back, eyeing his work.

It had been close there. It was a good thing they'd managed to keep the demons wounded and distracted, otherwise they would've smoked out, and-Sam shook the thought away. No. No one had been possessed, as far as they knew. No one had been killed. And when it came to dealing with demons, that made it a good day in his opinion.

He rolled the top of the bag closed and set it by the door, then swung back by their room to grab a flask of holy water before stepping into the kitchen.

Dean sat with his arms draped over the back of a kitchen chair as John poked and prodded at his shoulder. Amy and Sherlock both sat at the table as well, watching John work, as the Doctor filled the kettle in the sink.

Sam moved Dean's jacket and button-down from the last chair and sat down. He scooted the flask across the table to Sherlock. The detective looked down at it curiously, then back up at Sam, one eyebrow raised. He picked up the flask and tapped the cross engraved into the side.

"Holy water?" he said in an incredulous tone.

"Take a swig before I force it down your throat," Dean growled. "Ow! Geez, doc, take it easy!"

"Don't be a child," John said.

Sherlock shrugged, popped the top, and took a swig. Sam stiffened, but nothing happened. Sherlock merely passed the flask to Amy. She, John, and the Doctor all gulped the holy water without any side effects.

Dean picked up the flask and met Sam's eyes. Sam clenched his hands. What would he do if his brother was possessed? How would he even-

Dean took a swig.

Nothing.

Sam blew out a deep breath and drained the last of the holy water, then stuck the flask in his pocket.

Dean's shoulders visibly sagged. John chose that moment to grab the front of Dean's shoulder and jerk on it, hard. Sam heard a pop as the joint slid back into place. Dean doubled forward, burying his face in his arms, a soft whimper escaping his lips.

"Ice, painkillers, I assume you know the drill," John said, stepping back and brushing his hands together.

"Yeah, Bones, I got it." Dean grabbed the button-down shirt and pulled it on.

"So. Demons." The Doctor drummed his fingers on the counter. "Never thought much of all that. Guess there's a first time to be wrong for everyone."

Dean's eyes met Sam's again, and Sam crossed his arms, waiting for the inevitable dressing-down. But then Dean just shrugged.

"So what happened?" he asked Sam. "What made you come look for me in the middle of the night?"

"What, you didn't call me?" Sam said.

"How did you get past the TARDIS?" Amy asked. "You'll have to teach me that trick."

"The TARDIS likes them, the old reprobate," the Doctor said. "Not to mention that they, unlike you, Amy, don't have habit of sneaking out to see the Miraculous Deadly Waters of Ogon Five."

"Well, that's an oxymoron if I've ever heard one," John muttered.

"Lots of oxymorons in my life, oxymorons keep things interesting," the Doctor said.