XII - Big Plan

BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS, SEPTEMBER 11, 2001

The flight to Michigan was scheduled to take off in two hours time but Ahmed was already at the Logan Airport. It was still early morning and Ahmed decided to get himself a cup of coffee. He walked into the Starbucks and made order. Then he sat down at one of the table, enjoying his coffee while reading a book he recently bought. “Assalamualaikum!” Said a man who was standing in front of him in Arabic which means ‘peace be upon you’. “Wa’alaikumussalam.” Ahmed replied. It was not rare to find Muslims back in Dearborn, Michigan but this man was the first Muslim Ahmed met in Boston. “Is this seat taken?” he asked. “No. Please. Have a seat.” Ahmed said. “I’m Ahmed. I’m from Oman.” Ahmed introduced himself. Then the man replied, “My name is Waleed. I’m from Saudi Arabia.”

“Where are you going?” Ahmed asked.

“I’m going to New York. I have big plans with my friends. We are going to do something epic.” Waleed said and smiled but he appeared to be a little nervous. Ahmed was pretty good at reading people. Ahmed figured Waleed was going to do something for the first time and that was why he looked a bit nervous. Waleed was eyeing around as if he was looking for something. Then, he checked his watch on and off as if he was waiting for something or someone. So, Ahmed said, “Will it be the first time?” Waleed was surprised by the question. “The first time?” He asked Ahmed curiously. Ahmed chuckled and said, “I mean, this big plan of yours. Is this the first time you’re going to do it?”

Waleed laughed a little, and said, “Yes. It’s my first time. I wasn’t sure about this but my friends… They were convinced that this will be a good idea.”

Then, Ahmed heard the announcement that the gate is opened for his flight. He rose from his seat and said to Waleed, “Well, brother. Whatever it is you’re planning, I wish you all the best.” Then, they shook hand and Ahmed left.

Ahmed took his flight and arrived in Michigan sooner after that. He was relieved to have reached home safely to his wife and his two-years-old daughter. A few hours later, they sat in their living room to watch the television when they heard the horrible news. The World Trade Center in New York was crashed by a passenger flight from Logan Airport, Boston. The American Airlines Flight 11 was hijacked by some unknown passengers possibly of Middle Eastern origin. The news was shocking and heart-wrenching. So many people were killed and injured. Ahmed and his family prayed for the people who lost their family members, hoping that such thing will never happen to them. But they were wrong. Bad things will happen to them, in time.