VIII - The Wedding

DEARBORN, MICHIGAN, 1998

It was almost unbelievable that this day finally came. He prayed to God that everything would turn out great for him and his future spouse. He entered the hall to the sight of amazing decorations, colorful guests and extravagant accessories. All the ladies were looking great and his heart beat faster as he waited for his bride. When his bride approached in the amazingly designed dress, he jaw was almost dropped the sight of beauty he had never seen before. Then, the party continued with dances, laughter and wonderful music.

Ahmed had invited most of his students ever since he first moved to Dearborn to his wedding party. Most of the students he invited turned up but some weren’t able to attend so they congratulated him and wished him well for his big day. He met his wife a few years ago, while he was walking home from school. He saw this woman who was panicking as her car broke down at the middle of a busy road. She was looking around helplessly. Ahmed remembered walking over to her asking what went wrong and all of a sudden she cried without answering him. He tried to console her but she kept on crying. The people passed by them were staring at him as if he caused her to cry. It was awfully funny in a way. Her name was Zahraa. Every time he brought up to her about that event, they would laugh reminiscing their first met.

Three hours later, when the party ended, Ahmed walked to one of his former student who was smiling at him from where he was sitting. “Ethan, you made it!” Ahmed exclaimed. “Congratulations, Sir!” Ethan was looking happy. He appeared to be so much different than the last time Ahmed saw him. He used to look moody and introvert but now he looked warm and happy. Ethan stayed in touch with Ahmed from time to time, seeking advice on his future undertaking. Ahmed gave him as much advice as he could and he was very pleased to see how positive Ethan had become. “Thank you, Ethan.” Ahmed replied and then asked, “So, you took the LSAT?”

“Yes. I did.” Ethan answered. Ethan told Mr. Ahmed before that he was planning to become a lawyer.

“How did you do? What’s your score?” Mr. Ahmed asked.

“179. Aren’t you proud of me?” Ethan said.

“Wow! That’s really good. I’m sure you’ll make it to Harvard or Cambridge.”

“I plan to. Just wish me luck!” Ethan smiled.

Ahmed was happy to see him that way but he couldn’t help wondering about Ethan’s life as a whole. Then, Ahmed asked with a slightly serious tone, “How are you? Really?”

Ethan stared at Mr. Ahmed and then he joked, “You’re really taking this counseling thing seriously, sir!”

Then, they both laughed. After a while of silent, Ethan said, “My dad is doing well at rehab. I did talk to Carla a few weeks ago. She seems to be doing fine. To sum it up, I’m fine, really.”

Ahmed smiled, “Good for you!”

Ethan hesitated for a while but then he asked, “Do you love your wife?”

“Of course. I love her more than anything.”

“If you lose her, would you be able to deal with it?” Ethan asked.

Ahmed eyed him curiously and then, Ethan quickly apologized, “I’m sorry for asking this kind of question. Especially on your wedding day. Just ignore it!”

Ahmed then held Ethan’s shoulder and he said, “Ethan… if I lose her, I will not be able to deal with it.”

Ethan looked at Ahmed as Ahmed removed his hand from Ethan’s shoulder. Ethan felt guilty for bringing up such ridiculous question. “I’m sorry, Mr. Ahmed. I shouldn’t have –”

Ahmed interrupted before Ethan could finish his words, “But, if I lose her, I will appreciate and cherish every seconds that I once had with her, and I will love everything she used to loved and I will take care of everything she once gave me. ”

Ethan tried to contain the tear from streaming down his face. He then said, “She’s lucky to have you.”