Chapter 7

The next morning, Saturday morning, I found myself waking up way early - six o'clock. Why and how I was up so early was beyond me, but for some odd reason, I was wide awake. Any other day, Jewel would've been up at the exact same time as I was; that's just how it had always turned out. I remember previous summers where Jewel and I would have constant sleepover where we'd stay up all night long watching chick flicks, eating lots of candy and ice cream, and laughing our heads at these stuck-up girls at our school who thought they were better than everyone else. And although we wouldn't get to bed until really late at night - or should I say, really early in the morning - we'd still be up bright and early, opening our eyes at the same time.

But that morning, Jewel was unusually sound asleep.

So many thoughts flooded my mind like a nasty storm in the midst of summer; I thought about Travis and my night with him, how much fun I'd been having with my best friend, and the weird "coincidences" that were taking place. The thing that really caught my attention, though, was the present pit in my stomach. I didn't understand why it was there, but I had a strange, scary feeling that something terrible and life-changing was going to happen. I didn't know when; I didn't know how - I didn't know a lot of things.

But I could totally sense it.

As an attempt to clear my thoughts and put a hault to the lurching in my stomach, I decided to take a walk outside on the beach. The sun was just rising above the ocean - I could see it from the balcony in Jewel's and my room.

At that moment, I debated on waking up Jewel. In the beginning of the trip to Maine, Jewel and I promised each other that we would wake up, at least one of the mornings, super early to watch the sun peek peacefully above the serene waves. But something told me not to wake her up.

So, quietly sneaking past Jewel, I grabbed my favorite pink Victoria's Secret hoodie (one that Jewel had bought for me in the wintertime for Christmas) from my open suitcase on the desk by the doorway of our room. I unplugged my phone from its charger as well and continued on my way downstairs and out the door, making certain not to wake my parents.

Slipping out the sliding glass door, I felt my phone vibrate in the pocket of my hoodie. I wondered who the heck would text me so early in the morning, especially since it obviously wasn't a text from sleeping Jewel or my parents. I cautiously opened the message.

Travis: Hey, April...I'm packing everything up to get ready and make my way back to NYC. I just wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed last night. You're a special girl, and I really wish we lived closer. I'll never forget you.

Reading the message from Travis, I felt my eyes begin to water. I really fell for Travis - in just one day. Imagine how great it would've been if I'd gotten the chance to get to know him better. We could've been something seriously amazing. I had always dreampt of a guy so perfect as Travis, but I never imagined actually meeting him; kissing him.

As I walked slowly to the breezy beach, I answered Travis. Our conversation went like this:

April: Travis, if only I got to know you better...I miss you already. :(

Travis: What are you doing up?! I thought you'd still be in bed.

April: I couldn't sleep...I'm on the beach.

Travis: Are you alone?

April: I am.

Travis: Same place as last night? Meet you there in a few. :)

April: <3

I didn't know why I had woken up so early, but I sure was delighted when I was given the oppurtunity to see Travis one last time. Sitting down on the sand, watching the sun rise, I anticipated his arrival with all of my heart. I hugged my knees to my chest, bracing myself for the hardest goodbye.