Chapter 1

"Hey, April. Guess what?"

Jewel and I were sitting next to eachother in class, anticipating the end of the day; the end of our sophomore year. We had already finished our final for our last period class, so our teacher just let us chat quietly with our friends. Although no one was really quiet in any way what-so-ever. I mean, it was the last day of school before summer. What do you expect?

"What?" I asked, smiling at my best friend who was glowing with excitement.

Jewel pushed her blonde, curly hair over her shoulders and bit her lip, attempting to contain her enthusiasm so that our teacher, Ms. Hail, didn't go psycho on us for talking too loudly. Although, I didn't see any harm in our raised voices considering everybody in the room was finished with their tests as well. "Tomorrow," she whispered to me, leaning in as if to tell some type of dark secret.

Tomorrow. I played Jewel's word in my head over and over until I could barely hold in my happiness any longer. "Tomorrow" was the day we were going on vacation to my family's beach house in Maine. Blue Hill, Maine, to be exact. My mother and father visited there every year to see my grandparents who lived close, and I always tagged along. But that was the first time I was taking Jewel with me, which was actually a huge surprise to many.

Jewel was my best friend.

She'd been my best friend for as long as I can recall. It's as though life before Jewel had no existance. We did everything together, Jewel and I. Wherever I was, Jewel was. Whatever Jewel did, I did. 

Except for Maine. Until that summer.

But it was as though I wasn't living my own life; I was living life as a half, Jewel making me whole. And I the same for her.

But I was extremely souped to go to Maine with her that summer. I knew that I would finally find some fun in my trip. Jewel always made things fun. She was the energy inside of me that kept me going. Without her, I'd merely be a boring soul.

I smiled bright and true as ever at my soul sister. "I honestly have never been so excited in my life..." I confess. Jewel giggles, nodding her head in agreement.

"We're gonna go on so many fun adventures! This time, I promise it. I promise that we will experience new things, not the same old stuff as always." When I saw the look of determination and wonder in her eyes, I truly believed that Jewel was right. This summer would be way different than any other old summer.

And Jewel was right. Summer was different. But not in any way that she or I could have ever expected.