Chapter 2

It was a Saturday morning. The sun was rising. Jewel and I were laughing our heads off, attempting to carry all of our bags downstairs and to my dad's truck parked out front.

I was so excited.

"You know, after this vacation, we can officially say we have done everything together," Jewel said matter-of-factly. Her blue eyes sparkled with beauty in the dim sunlight.

I grinned and felt the butterflies fluddering in my stomach. "Yes, and I am very proud of it!"

As we stumbled towards my father's gray truck, I looked up to the sky. There were absolutely no clouds. I hoped that Maine would be the same way.

Jewel and I lived a little over 5 hours away (by car) from Maine in Worcester, Massachusetts. I liked where I lived. It was a decently nice area, taking on the city type of atmosphere. There were tall buildings everywhere. Although there were some bad parts of the area, Jewel and I just tried our best to avoid them. But overall, I liked the feeling it gave off. I just wished we weren't so far from the beach, which happened to be breathtakingly beautiful.

Not as beautiful as Maine's beach, though. Although I normally didn't enjoy going to Maine with my parents, I must admit that the beach near my grandparents' house was absolutely amazing. It was the only thing that kept me from loosing my mind while spending a whole two weeks with four adults. 

But this time is gonna be different, I told myself repeatedly.

"Just place your things right here, girls," my dad told Jewel and me as he piled luggage in the trunk of his large truck.

Jewel and I did as told as my mother strolled over to us, a bag of chips in her hand. "For the ride," she said, smiling and handing over the chips to Jewel. I laughed at how corny my mother was. It was completely typical of her to do something like that. I loved my mother for that very reason; for her enjoyment in simplicity. The tiniest things made my mother so happy. But on the other hand, the tiniest things made my mother so upset.

I was a lot like my mother.

As oppose to us, Jewel was always happy. She constantly had a smile on her face. Even through the hardest of times, she knew exactly how to lighten the mood and cheer everybody up.

"Thanks, Mrs. Santelli!" Jewel exclaimed as she ripped open the bag of barbeque potato chips and crunched on a few. Crumbs covered her lip and chin and I cracked up, shaking my head at her. "What?!" she demanded, her mouth full of chewed chips.

"Ewwwww!" I exclaimed as a peice of chip flew out of her mouth in my direction. "You're so gross!" We both burst out into a fit of giggles.

"Oh, like you're any better..."

Jewel had a point. She and I were not very prissy when it came to many things, which I didn't mind at all. It was way more fun that way.

"You girls ready?!" my dad asked after he finally finished packing the truck and slammed the trunk closed.

I looked to Jewel with a mischievious grin. She nodded.

"More ready than ever."

If only we saw what was in store for us. We never would have been ready for that.