Episode 22: Fleeting Farewells

Tamsin and I met the following afternoon in a corner of Moreton Library. We had one day to complete our Martian history project. It was also the last time we'd have an excuse to meet in public.

She sat at a long wooden desk, bent over her tablets and a stack of worn books.

I paused at the end of the aisle to watch her--the perfect curve of her nose and lips in profile, her honeyed bob tucked behind her ears, wearing the pressed white blouse and pleated skirt of the Chamberlayne girls uniform. She was too beautiful for words.

My admiration collided with her cold demeanor. I did my best to smile.

She cast her eyes downward and slid the books aside to make room for me. Her words came as a dejected mumble. "We've much work to do, and not a lot of time."

"Of course." Feeling sheepish, I unpacked my devices and notes and sat next to her.

She still refused to look at me. "I've picked over the draft. It's ready for the final edit."

The notification tone on my tablet signaled receipt of her file.

"I'll have a look." I lowered my voice. "Please accept my apology for last night. I heard you arguing with him, and I feared for your safety."

Resting her chin on one palm, she drew mindless circles on her tablet, the stylus scraping across the screen. "My mother, my aunt and uncle, Vance, and now, you."

I leaned closer. "I don't understand."

"No one does. It just seems to be my lot in life. No one believes I can take care of myself. Not even you."

"I believe you're capable. But some things can't be taken for granted."

She snapped her head about. "Yes, and one of those things is us. If we get caught, that's one thing. But this is the second time you've shown up to my rescue out of the night, unexpected, and in the presence of those I must keep it from the most. My uncle will watch me even more. It wasn't a good move, Silas."

"I'm sorry. I was wrong to assume so much."

She studied me, then sighed. "I think it demonstrates a point. We've been sloppy. If we're to continue in the future, we must be more cautious."

"I agree. Please forgive me for last night's blunder."

Her frown lifted. "At least you're not hurt. I was worried for you."

"I'm fine. But Vance sure got himself into a muddle."

"I saw him this morning," she said. "He can't use his wrist for three weeks. And he was the only one of us cited for misconduct. I only hope he learns something from it."

We tackled our assignment, exchanging subtle pets when we could. Once we were happy with the final draft, we sent it to the professor's inbox.

"It's been wonderful working with you," I said. "My friend Gerald and I never completed a project so well."

"We'd make formidable business partners."

"We surely would." The thought amused me, but it could never be. Sooner or later, a vital conversation would arise. How long could we go on? And how would we continue, after we graduated and returned to our individual lives?

"It's time to go," she said, checking her wristcom. "There's a rally for War Awareness tonight, six o'clock at Pentworth Amphitheater. You're welcome to come."

"I'd love to. Unfortunately, my crew meets start at an unseemly hour. It must be an early night for me."

"Alright." Her smile held sadness. "I don't know when we can meet again. Most likely, it'll be after interim."