Episode 16: The Irony of Desire

Five hundred voices fell to a whisper and shuffle as the first week's assembly commenced. The entire student body met in the esteemed Pentworth Amphitheatre, one of the oldest and most cherished buildings at Chamberlayne. Velvet curtains framed the stage, heavy with the stale effervescence of time. The oily scent of the wood columns and paneling stifled the air. Though all was polished on the surface, dust motes swam and sparkled within the brash spotlight.

"We expect all of you to emulate the highest standards, whether on or off campus," said Mr. Grayson, our bombastic headmaster. Dangling his fingers around the edges of the lavish podium, he expounded upon the merits of behavior. He wore his best silk gown and wig in an attempt to appear scholarly. In truth, we all thought him a bore.

I slumped in my seat beside Gerald, trying to pay attention. Mr. Grayson's endless drone made it difficult enough. It was more troublesome with Tamsin right in front of me. Of all places to sit, she had to be there.

She waved and smiled in greeting, with two girlfriends giggling alongside. They huddled together, sharing quiet gossip, oblivious to Mr. Grayson's sermon on propriety.

During the past few days, I'd discovered how different things were on the homeworld. The youth here were more carefree, even defiant. When the chaperones and professors weren't watching, etiquette was abandoned. Manners, fashion, and music shocked many, including myself.

Tamsin flaunted a tiny sprig of lilacs, tucked behind her ear. Several times, in our Worlds History class, the professor had forced her to discard such floral ornaments. She obviously didn't care.

The sweet fragrance enveloped me, more alluring than any artificial perfume. I thought I'd be able to ignore my infatuation, but it only intensified when she was near. Nevertheless, I remained steadfast in keeping a sensible demeanor. Not even Gerald suspected my true feelings.

After the assembly was dismissed, the crowd dispersed. We had an hour lunch break before afternoon class.

"Silas, Gerald, over here," Chester shouted, beckoning.

We joined him and his friends outside.

"Mr. Grayson has the dullest voice I've ever heard," Gerald said. "I almost fell asleep. A custodian unit would be a more interesting speaker."

Chester snickered. "His attempt at a joke was the worst. He was the only one who laughed."

After a few minutes of conversation, we meandered into the dining hall. I opted for a light fare of greens and fresh peaches, and my favorite brand of iced black tea.

"Are we still meeting at six tomorrow, Chester?" I asked.

"We are," he said. "My cousin Freddy will pick us up. So far, everyone has RSVP'd. It should be a real blow."

Gerald grinned. "Looking forward to it. Tell me, what's the dress code? I don't want to show up in rags."

"Forget dress codes," Chester said. "This is Earth, and we do whatever we want. Caps and knickers are fine."

The next evening, at the appointed time, Gerald and I walked to the front of Knights Hall for the rendezvous.

Gerald wore a buttoned white shirt with a loose tie. His brown curls spilled to his chin beneath a gray flat cap. In contrast, my suit was of chestnut cassimere, a dark green sweater vest being my one nod to the casual allowance.

About ten people mingled beside the tarnished bronze statue of Herbert James Woodsworth, the school's founder. Within minutes, more celebrants arrived. I was pleased to see familiar faces, as well as strangers. Broadening social circles was one of my priorities, and would be easier if I already knew some of the attendees.