Episode 11: Remember the Foundation

Early the next morning, we rode into Belenus for the press conference. It was my first official day working for Blane Industries. Father assigned me several important tasks to assist senior management, and I was eager to prove myself.

"Crawford, please stop by headquarters first," Father said. "We'll meet Miss Kohler there."

The chauffeur tipped his cap. "Of course, sir."

With the pleasant hum of its engine, our sedan accelerated onto the main expressway. Six lanes blazed across the agricultural zone surrounding the metropolitan center. The well-ordered blocks of green and brown farm plots rolled past, tended by fleets of robots. Enormous pylons jutted between, supporting the shield domes far above.

I brushed a spot of lint from the sleeve of my russet houndstooth suit, and adjusted the rusty silk tie to a more comfortable knot. A tailored vest complemented my spotless two-toned wingtips. Topping the ensemble was a new fedora I'd purchased during a recent outing with Gerald. Even my glasses aimed to impress, a formal pair with bronze geometric embellishments along the frames.

Father surveyed me with an appreciative nod. "You look very professional today, Silas."

"Thank you. I only hope I don't disappoint in my duties."

He smiled, and clapped a hand against my shoulder. "You'll do fine. Remember, we're a team. Ask any of us for help when you need it."

As we neared our destination, the spires of ivory and chrome mega-scrapers reached skyward. The arcology spread in an eighty-five mile radius from the Basin, the immense man-made crater which housed most middle class citizens and smaller commercial facilities. All important enterprise congregated here. Surface and aerial traffic glided along the multi-level streets in endless gleaming columns.

We soon arrived at company headquarters. Five arced buildings of descending height clustered about a circular hub, with our signature colors of dark blue and rust decorating the eaves and cornices. A statue of the Blane symbol dominated a star-shaped pedestal in the plaza, a metallic globe with a streamlined curve piercing through it.

Crawford parked at the entry pavilion, and waited as Father called his personal assistant.

Not long after, Miss Rosetta Kohler strode to the car. Always an exemplary employee, her dove gray suit flattered without flaunting. The blunt lines of her bobbed auburn hair were softened beneath her stylish cloche. Hovering at her side, a shiny clerical robot swiveled its receivers, ready for any command.

She eased into the car, and Crawford closed the door behind her. Her robot floated to an unobtrusive position nearby.

I'd fancied myself in love with her when I was small. Her dark blue eyes and capable demeanor were appealing. I still found her attractive, but never let it show. We were co-workers now, and I faced her with due respect.

"Good morning, Mr. Blane." She nodded to Father, then to me. "And Mr. Blane. My goodness, I'll have to find a way to distinguish between you."

Father chuckled. "It's the same as before, the elder and the younger. Only the faces have changed."

A trace of sadness dimmed her expression. "That's an excellent perspective, sir. I admit, your father is sorely missed around the office. His insight and experience were unparalleled."

"Indeed," Father said. "However, Blane Industries continues into a new era of excellence."

She clutched her data tablet to her chest. "I have the highest faith in your proposals. We'll show those wretches at Lovejoy-Prynne how to conduct business."